Memorial Day 2017 We Do Not Forget.

A few years ago, a friend wished my husband a happy Memorial Day and thanked him for his service.

My husband sort of patiently explained that Veteran's Day and Memorial Day are not the same and "happy" Memorial Day makes no sense. Yes, you can thank someone for their service, can be done any day of the year, but not many people do. Memorial Day is set aside for those who are not there to be thanked but you should thankfully remember and honor them for their sacrifice. And that can be done anytime as well, but not many people do that either, unless you know people who didn't come home, then it's every day.

It is a day when most people do not know why they get a paid day off, who don't go to a Memorial Service, who should be thankful that they have the freedom to have a hot dog, a burger and a beer, courtesy of those who gave everything.

I miss my friends and family that are honored on Monday. I spend the day with my family, go to the ceremony at our little local cemetery, teach my son about service and sacrifice and thank God that my husband was one who came home.

Sorry, off the soapbox now. Work email set me off...

Back