At my Wits End with Slowness, Help?

smalltown7

Hi guys. I'm sure you see these "help" posts too often, but hear me out.

I'm 24, been doing insurance for about two years now. Last year I switched from working as a CSR for a retainer agent (awful experience) to being a solo agent in my own (well my boss owns it) office independently. I took a $5/hr pay raise when taking this job, and I make a certain $ based on the # of apps I'm doing per month.I work alone, and I love my job here, I have ALOT of freedom. I can do as little work as I want, or as much as I want.

Here is my problem... The past 6 months have been dead slow. Despite being on a heavy traffic road in town, billboards all over town, and monthly mails outs, walk ins (which are already slow) have been few and far between. We live in a small town (with the closest large metro over the state line 45 minutes away). We've been sending out mailers every other month or so for the past year. We started a facebook page, & were regularly updating it but not getting much out of it (and barely reached 100 likes).

When I first started, I was clearing the month with 25 new auto apps, but mos to of that was old clients that followed me from my previous agency. This year has been the worst. I'm barley clearing 20 new apps, let alone 10. I've tried my best to boost the agency. Created a google page for us, worked with 2 local grocery stores to get us on the carts, and have even bullied the owner into getting us appointed with more companies. I've gone through literally every file we have in this office, we're talking 10 years worth, and run into old information/phones being disconnected. Cold calling with the phone book has even hit a dead end, because NO one has a valid house phone anymore it seems.

This is a pocket change/side business for my boss (he makes big money in his other two businesses). I know if production sucks, it's not a huge deal to him.While I have the option to sit here lazy & collect hourly, I can't stand how slow it's been & I hate that lack of business. I only plan to do insurance for another 2 years while I finish school, but I can't take it much longer if it's this slow paced.

I've done giftcard giveaways, referral programs, & even given away cupcakes/other baked goods. Nothing gets these people in the door, or coming in to take advantage for that matter. I offered to do door knocking this summer at apartments to attempt to generate some renters policies (really the auto with it would be nice as well) but the first summer was waste of time and only yielded 1 policy (who cancelled a week later anyhow).

What can I do to help grow this agency or at least get some people in teh door?!What is your agency doing to get these policies? More importantly to just get these folks in the door.

I don't know how much longer I can do this. I hate bitching about "such an easy job" but it's exhausting to have NOTHING to do all day but stare at 4 walls and browse the internet.

Most of the marketing, you describe is "passive marketing". For example,other than the door knocking and giveaways, you are an order taker. Therefore, I suggest you contact your local SCORE. And if you don't know what it is look it up on the internet. View their free online seminars. Next, prepare or update your business plan. In addition, your existing book of business, needs to be cultivated. Both for cross line sales and opportunities.Set up an appointment with these clients and do a policy review, with a needs analysis. This will give you enough work , and therefore new opportunities. If you don't do this. You fail.
Remember, this is an ever evolving world, and consequently so is the insurance field.:GEEK:

Heck, how does your page even have 100 likes? I know an agency in my town that has been in business for 50 years, the owner is a Top of the Table agent, and his page only has 23 likes.

Maybe its time to get out of the office and see people belly to belly. Policy reviews and prospecting.

Or just but a new sign.

Dave

If you're in sales and any amount of your day is spent "just sitting browsing the internet", there is no reason you can't be actively prospecting. "He who waits for roast duck to fly in mouth must wait a long time". Get out there and start beating the bushes.

You need to get out there, go out and introduce yourself to all the local business owners, ask if you can leave cards at every business you walk into. Talk to realtors, loan officers. Buy leads, build an online presence that will get customers to call you (yelp, google, yahoo). You will never grow your business waiting for clients to walk thru your door.

Network.

BNI. Chamber. Go have a coffee somewhere. Get out of the office and meet people. Call them. Ask for referrals.

You can setup referrals sources, professionals sending you business.

You can ask for referrals from everyone you sign up.

You can buy leads, Internet, targeted lists, live transfers.

I spend $3-5k a month in marketing, but I'm looking to setup more referral relationships to bring that cost down. I'm a newer agent and average about 120 policies a month, auto, fire, life, health, bank, mutual funds. But it's very costly and its a grind. I'm exhausted after 12 months. There has to be a better way to get it done.

I'm in the search just like you.

Back