National Producer Number

National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)

I believe it was started by The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to help standardize licensing. I do know that it has made it a lot easier and quicker to get non-resident licenses when I need them. You can go to their site and apply online for a non-resident license for many states.

Just got asked if I had one of these, was told I needed one to get appointments?

First time I have heard of this. Where do you get these?

Thank you

As a company marketing manager, we were just informed that NYS requires a National Producer Code for us to license agents with the company. I am asking the same questions you are about what is it, where and how do you obtain it?
Still waiting for answers, when I get them I will post.

I did go to the state insurance department website and found nothing there of any sort.

Followup: found in a pdf at the NY Insurance department website - I can't give a link because I haven't posted enough times yet.

testimony of NAIC before a Senate oversight committee.
Apparently, among other things, NPN is a way of giving you a clear identity without using SSN.

National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)
Through the efforts of NIPR, major steps have been taken to streamline the process of licensing non-residents and appointing producers, including the implementation of programs that allow electronic appointments and terminations. Other NIPR developments helping to facilitate the producer licensing and appointment process
include:

Update:
There are 31 states and the District of Columbia accepting electronic non-resident licensing applications through NIPR with the goal of all states and territories by December 31, 2004. There are three states on electronic nonresident renewals.
(1) Use of a National Producer Number (NPN), which is designed to eliminate sole dependence on using social security numbers as a unique identifier;
Update:

There are 28 states and the District of Columbia currently using the NPN as a the unique identifier on the database, with a goal of all states and territories having NPN implemented by December 31, 2004.
(2) Acceptance of electronic appointments and terminations or registrations frominsurers;
Update:

There are 39 states and the District of Columbia accepting electronic appointments and terminations through NIPR’s Gateway. Eight states do not require appointments. The goal is to achieve all states and territories by December 31, 2004.

If you have a state insurance license, the state gets you registered. I didn't know I had a national number until I renewed my state producer license a few months back. No I did not get a free t-shirt but I now have a yard full of goats. Where on earth did they come from?

Just so happens I have flexibility with my time tomorrow. I'll be looking for the film company. Well I gotta go. The goats are hopping the fence and starting wander around the neighborhood.

I never specifically applied for a National Producer Number. I believe I was assigned a number when I became licensed in my home or residence State. I have never been in a situation where I needed it absolutely but it can help in non resident State licensing.

Back