National Producer Number

The New Guy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Michigan
Just got asked if I had one of these, was told I needed one to get appointments?

First time I have heard of this. Where do you get these?

Thank you

The following is information from the website you posted. I'm not sure what they are talking about. I have been selling insurance for about 14 years and have not heard of this, nor do I have a "number".

It looks as though they want $75.00 plus $1.34 per report. Not sure what it is for or why you were told you "need one". Maybe it is needed it to sell "free life insurance". LOL

The Producer Database (PDB) is a central repository of producer licensing information updated on a timely basis by participating state insurance departments. The PDB includes data from external databases such as the Regulatory Information Retrieval System (RIRS) to provide a more comprehensive producer profile.

The following information is maintained in the PDB:
  • General demographic information relating to all producers, such as name and
    address(es)
  • License information, such as states licensed, license numbers, authorized lines and license status
  • Appointment information, such as company appointments, effective date, termination date and termination reason
  • Regulatory actions (if taken)
Currently, the PDB includes information from all 50 states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. All licensing and appointment information is on one report, whether licensed in one state or all states. You can print out or download the reports.
There is a $75.00 annual fee (per password) to be an NIPR customer. A PDB detail report costs $1.34. These fees will be billed to you on your first monthly invoice.
To become an NIPR customer, please contact the NIPR Marketing Department at 816-783-8467 or [email protected].
The information contained in the PDB is subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Only entities with a "permissible purpose" will be allowed to access this information. Primary users of the PDB are entities involved in the business of insurance. The primary purpose of the PDB is to facilitate the ability to track pertinent information regarding licensed producers.
NIPR retains the right to determine which entities are given access.

Every agent has an NPN. Look it up on your state DOI website.

If I have one why don't I know what it is? When would I have used it and for what purpose?

I have a Mo license number, is that the same thing? This sure is a new one on me and I've been doing this for about 14 years. I'm probably going to get thrown in jail or worse for not knowing it. I may even be forced to pay $10.00 to sell "free life insurance :D

All agents have a national producer number, whether you know it or not. You did not apply, it came with the free t-shirt (what, you didn't get that either???)

You can check your own npn at:
https://www.licenseregistry.com/html/PacNpnSearch.html

No fees, just some personal information (you can search by your license number).

I've been asked for this several times when I've applied to be appointed with a company.

I think fees are involved for companies who want to receive the reports.

Kansas's DOI web site has an agent side where you can look up CE info, do a change of address, etc.

To get into that, all I had to do was call the DOI and they gave it to me over the phone.

Thanks, djs. I looked up my National Producer Number on that site. I didn't even know I had one. It is a different number from my PA DOI License Number.:cool:

P.S. Have never had to use the NPN.

Back