Need Advice Going Independent

It would seem that you would use mailers and other marketing to drive traffic to your website, where your prospects would learn more about you. I think in today's market if you don't have a web presence - both a website and social media - you're going to be at a disadvantage.

Totally agree here, and will add that smartphones alter people's buying habits, and the first thing people will do is look you up online, so not only do you need a website, but it has to be mobile friendly. Keep it simple, just a landing page initially with your value proposition and a form to sign up for more info or a number to call.

Glen Shelton, I understand a little about SEO but definitely need to do more research. Thanks for the link. I guess that each search engine has it's own method, in which case I would need to gear my optimization towards the top two or three?

----------

Also, Glen, mainly I've used keywords I think most people would use: cheap auto insurance, auto insurance near me, multi policy insurance companies, etc - Maybe not brilliant but not sure what other terms beyond the most basic, most people would use.

Majority of searches are coming from Google - so if you were looking for a search engine to optimize a website for, I would start with that one before looking at someone like Bing.

"Multi Policy Insurance Companies" and "Cheap Auto Insurance" will be much more difficult to rank for vs. "Athens Auto Insurance, Marietta Auto Insurance, Gainesville Auto Insirance"

The city specific search volume will be less but your chances of ranking are much higher (even "1st page" potential).

Here is a keyword research tool I would recommend if you wanted to spend more time researching https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer

:)

I would definitely have a website, if nothing more than an online informational site. You don't have one in today's world, some will think your business doesn't exist. You can set up an online presence very cheap, and step up in the future if you need to.

Having a website is key, but it needs to be relevant. The boilerplate ones big companies give you don't always cut it.

Example:

https://representatives.countryfinancial.com/luke.kinton

It serves the purpose. It is on all my marketing stuff. From a consumer perspective, it is generic AF. I have gotten 0 leads from it and it only serves as a place holder or online business card at best.

Comparatively:

Peck-Glasgow Agency | Alabama Insurance Agency | AL Insurance | Huntsville Insurance

One of the bigger independents in our area who understand the importance of having a strong web presence. Informational, but not sales-y.

Based on 2015 data, content marketing drives more sales than social media. If you provide a web presence that is informative, you are more likely to begin the conversation with the customer before a word comes out of your mouth. To do this, you have to have a strong website that offers what the client wants to see. This is one area that many professionals across industries have a hard time with.

Phil, thanks so much. I may reach out this weekend.

----------

Glen, thanks for that information. And while I haven't looked at the link, yet, I think I've read that there needs to be new content added regularly to keep the search ranking. Does that sound right?

----------

Lukifer, good point on the relevancy of the site and I'm glad you pointed that out. I may have to seek outside SEO help before it's over with.

----------

Now I'm going back to what kpbdy99 brought up about the mailers. I was really kind of relying on the logic of reaching consumers that way. Other than mailers, social media, website (which likely won't drive traffic for a while, if, at all, unless I make it relevant in searches), what else is there? What am I missing??? I don't think cold calling works anymore.... I will try to talk with captives in the area and see if something can be worked out to get referrals for what they can't write but I don't think it will be that easy and I'll still need more than that.

Hi Everyone.
Of the clusters I've researched, I like Smart Choice best because the fees are low, splits fair, agency mgmt sys, and a decent choice of carriers - I just don't like the exit. Any recommendations?

Of the aggregators, Superior Access appears best - low fees, fair splits, no exit, my book, agency mgmt sys, etc. Considering Insure Hive, as well, but still need a couple of questions answers by them.

Look at Premier Group Insurance (Denver, CO) and Insurance Pro Agencies (Out of Orland Park, IL).

Both of these are much, much better than Smart Choice or Superior Access in my opinion. You can bind your own coverage on day 1, own your book, and the exit plans are pretty fair. Both have their positives and negatives, but in the P&C world, these are the two that I feel are among the best.

What is wrong with Smart Choice Agents? It has been 3 weeks since I signed up with them and I am still waiting to get the quoting software opened up for me. I cannot make sales until they give me access to quote. Anyone else have this problem?:no:

Hopes, I would keep looking until you find the best fit for you because there are a ton of aggregators/clusters out there. Have you tried PIIB? Their exit penalty is tiny and commission split very competitive but you do have a fixed monthly fee, which can be challenging for a brand new agency. As always, there are positives and negatives with every situation. Have you looked at pairing with a local MGA and then trying to get directly appointed as well to some local regional carriers?

I would recommend not joining anyone that requires a 2 year non-compete on the carriers they work with, that would essentially end your career in the industry and I'm sure the contracts protect themselves from rolling the book, etc. it would be incredibly difficult to start as a new agent, sell in 5 years and then take 2 years completely off doing something else, especially considering the market challenges, competition to take rate, and the changing of the insurance market and potential for self driving cars, ride sharing etc being the standard in 10 years.

Good luck. Agencyequity was a good informational site to compare, and searching insurance journal top aggregators was another good source for me.

Back