Need Advice Going Independent

Hopes

Super Genius
Georgia
Hi Everyone.

I'm currently working as a producer for a captive agent but am wanting to open a virtual independent agency selling auto and home, primarily, as well as health (life or other products where there is a need). I say "virtual" because most people do everything online and over the phone. I'm located in North Georgia.

I have a marketing plan which includes heavy mailers and calls to prospects.
I am undecided as to whether I need a website only because no matter what I enter online to do a search as a consumer would do, the only sites that populate are carrier websites for the first couple of pages - my site would be buried so deep, it would never be found. I realize I need to create a social media presence. If my agency outgrows my setup, I will move into a physical location and bring on producers, as needed.

I have researched clusters and aggregators. Obviously, some don't work with startups. Of the ones that do, I'm unimpressed with the exit strategies that leave me unable to appoint with certain carriers for a couple of years. I will only sign with one who allows me to keep my book but even then the policies non-renew. So, I wonder if I left the cluster (contract) and was unable to appoint for two years, could I roll my book to an aggregator (membership) so I could keep collecting my renewals?

Of the clusters I've researched, I like Smart Choice best because the fees are low, splits fair, agency mgmt sys, and a decent choice of carriers - I just don't like the exit. Any recommendations?

Of the aggregators, Superior Access appears best - low fees, fair splits, no exit, my book, agency mgmt sys, etc. Considering Insure Hive, as well, but still need a couple of questions answers by them.

The turn around time is something I just have to live with until I get appointments.

I have one local healthcare plan provider that is new in the area so I'm able to appoint with them. I've looked into signing with the ACA marketplace to provide plans. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I value any recommendations and feedback. What am I missing? What have I overlooked?

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently working as a producer for a captive agent but am wanting to open a virtual independent agency selling auto and home, primarily, as well as health (life or other products where there is a need). I say "virtual" because most people do everything online and over the phone. I'm located in North Georgia.

I have a marketing plan which includes heavy mailers and calls to prospects.
I am undecided as to whether I need a website only because no matter what I enter online to do a search as a consumer would do, the only sites that populate are carrier websites for the first couple of pages - my site would be buried so deep, it would never be found. I realize I need to create a social media presence.

What search terms are you using?

I can promise you that there will always be search terms that you can rank for, it just might not be the ones you are thinking of.

Local SEO as well as "long tail" search terms give you the potential to be on that first page...

Keyword Research and Targeting For Insurance Agents - Lead Heroes

It would seem that you would use mailers and other marketing to drive traffic to your website, where your prospects would learn more about you. I think in today's market if you don't have a web presence - both a website and social media - you're going to be at a disadvantage.

lukifer and SuperWoman, we should definitely chat!

----------

Glen Shelton, I understand a little about SEO but definitely need to do more research. Thanks for the link. I guess that each search engine has it's own method, in which case I would need to gear my optimization towards the top two or three?

----------

kpbdy99, I see what you're saying about needing a website - I had no thought about the mailers mainly driving business to the website. I still have that "captive" logic of mailing those quotes out but that really won't work with independent. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

----------

Also, Glen, mainly I've used keywords I think most people would use: cheap auto insurance, auto insurance near me, multi policy insurance companies, etc - Maybe not brilliant but not sure what other terms beyond the most basic, most people would use.

I am glad to try to give you some possibly relevant thoughts on your respective situations, if you want to reach-out to me through my website.

Latest posts

Back