Need Advice on Starting in Insurance...

GregSchmidt

Hello-

What advice would you give me to start a career in insurance?

I have enough reserve capital to float me for 3-4 years while I build a book. In my late 40’s, I am more the consultative sales type. I’ve operated B2B businesses before. I’m not even sure what type of insurance would be good to go into. Advice appreciated!

Hello-

I have enough reserve capital to float me for 3-4 years while I build a book. In my late 40’s, I am more the consultative sales type. I’ve operated B2B businesses before. I’m not even sure what type of insurance would be good to go into. Advice appreciated!

To quote Greensky, "Why did you get your insurance license." That's the first question to ask, because there are many different paths to take.

Midlife career change. I think I have the experience, skills and smarts to do well. I have done a lot of reading in these forums, and I know this is the place to come for advice.

Last edited:
GregSchmidt,

WHO do you think you can help the most?

WHAT lines of insurance are you licensed in?

HOW do you plan on reaching your ideal target market?

WHAT do you plan to sell?

WHERE do you plan to get your training to do exactly that?

Hello-

I believe to get Health and P&C license and do both.

Health is HOT! You only have from October-February to make good money. The rest of the year is P&C.

When you speak of "book' that seems to refer to P&C. First, you must get carriers, which is extremely hard to do. Or, you have to sign up with a cluster or certain P&C business cluster that is national.

I don't know what your licensed in, and I don't know what state you are in. I wish you Luck!

At your age you probably have access to a great natural market. And you're already with the money you need to pay bills for the next few years, I would most definitely, absolutely focus on Life insurance. You have the one thing that helps new agents the most: some money to help get through the learning curve.

Join a company like combined to get excellent sales training, then you can write your own ticket.

Back