New Agent in Louisiana

Passion

Hello, I live in Metairie, Louisiana. I now have a Health and Life Insurance License as of June 1st, 2015 (two days ago). I signed a contract to work with American Income Life after finishing my PSI Exam. I am new to the insurance business. I know that I will have to travel to make presentations and sell Life Insurance. I am in the process of memorizing the sales script. I am willing to work any days/hours to learn the business and be successful long-term. Fortunately, I have cash reserves to live on during my learning process.

My main reasons for posting this is 1. to introduce myself to the community and get a feel for the environment 2. to ask if there is any advice anyone would give me or if you were young and you had your license what would you have done to maximize your results? How does American Income Life stack up in comparison to other companies? What are your experiences? I am eager to read your responses. Thank you.

Hello, I live in Metairie, Louisiana. I now have a Health and Life Insurance License as of June 1st, 2015 (two days ago). I signed a contract to work with American Income Life after finishing my PSI Exam. I am new to the insurance business. I know that I will have to travel to make presentations and sell Life Insurance. I am in the process of memorizing the sales script. I am willing to work any days/hours to learn the business and be successful long-term. Fortunately, I have cash reserves to live on during my learning process. My main reasons for posting this is 1. to introduce myself to the community and get a feel for the environment 2. to ask if there is any advice anyone would give me or if you were young and you had your license what would you have done to maximize your results? How does American Income Life stack up in comparison to other companies? What are your experiences? I am eager to read your responses. Thank you.

MUCH better choices than AIL. You are in a good area for final expense. Feel free to call me anytime if you have any questions.

I'm an AIL agent out of the Memphis office.

My advice.

Don't walk. RUN away from this company!

Yes, I have read many reviews on AIL so I am skeptical. I did sign a contract and giving them a chance is the right thing to do. So far, I have enjoyed the process and I like the people I've met. I'm in good contact with my direct manager and I think we will work together well. I believe I am lucky because of the three top people who are directly "over" me; I like them and we have had good conversations. I did not have to go through the four-stage interview process I just got accepted immediately in a 10 minute interview and signed up for xcel test solutions in the office before I left. I think I happened to get a good office with good people or I could just be naïve; time will tell.

I am single and I have unlimited time so I got my certificate in two days and passed on my first exam try. I previously passed the Real Estate State Exam and worked at a bank so I was already familiar with tests and I know personal bankers need life/annuities licenses so I wanted my health/life insurance license for myself anyway incase I go back into banking in the future. I intend to memorize the sales script and go through the training and do my best. I want to know for myself what kind of company they are and I'll certainly post my experience in the future.

The process so far is the same as most other companies I have read; you get called in with a bunch of other people, most go through a four-stage interview process, if you get immediately accepted you sign up for xcel test solutions to get your certificate and are given a packet of papers/new hire in a folder. You update them on your progress and when you have your license you sign a contract and stay in contact with your direct manager. You train for 1-2 weeks and if that goes well and you memorize the script you are in the office for 3 days and in the field for 3 days, typically. The only monthly expense I will have to pay that I know of is $28/month to be in a union because we are selling to unions. I will admit that I do not know much about "final expense" and I will have to research it. I am glad that you say I am in a great area for it so I appreciate your response. Thank you.

During my job search; I was amazed that nearly all of my offers were to work for insurance companies as an agent. I don't know which one is the "best" and I assume most job seekers are getting hammered with these offers too. I hope insurance turns out to be a great fit for me because if so I will at least have security knowing that all of these companies want agents. Here are a list of the companies other than AIL that emailed me within a week period after I posted my resume everywhere and did over 100 applications during my job search: Southern States Management Group, US Health Advisors, Liberty National Life and Financial Services, JM Firm, Transworld Systems, AIG, The Prudential Insurance Company of America, New York Life Insurance Company, Bankers Life, Aflac.

The two previous posts of "advice" I got were only 3 short sentences and summed up that there are better options than AIL. You are recommending that I say I want out of my contract and quit? How would you react if I told you that after you got a license and signed your contract? If I quit right now, where would I go, what guarantee do I have that X company would be better than AIL, what logical sense does it make for me to go through additional expense and time to get into another training program with another company and how is it going to look to future employers that I signed a contract and immediately went back on my word and quit? I am not that kind of person.

If I was in your shoes and had a mountain of experience and many previous companies; I suppose it would make sense to just quit and go with X unknown company instead. But when you are in my shoes, have no real field experience, have not memorized the script yet, have not gone through training yet, just got your license 3 days ago, and this is the only company you know; I don't see how just quitting and going back on your contract/word while costing you additional time/expense to go with X unknown company while making a bad name for yourself in the industry makes any logical, financial, or ethical sense.

I do listen and I do recognize everyone here knows more than me. AIL could be a disappointing experience but I need the training at the very least and I am already in the system. So far, I do like the people and the location is within 8 minutes of my location. So far, it has been a good experience for me, I do like the people, and I have no complaints or reason to just quit. If I do fail, I am not going to blame a company or anyone else. Its my fault if I fail or succeed in anything in life.

I don't intend on having a 9-5 job or go back into banking if I can avoid it. I am committed to being an insurance agent and I will make it work if I have to go through five companies.

Last edited:
The two previous posts of "advice" I got were only 3 short sentences and summed up that there are better options than AIL. You are recommending that I say I want out of my contract and quit? How would you react if I told you that after you got a license and signed your contract? If I quit right now, where would I go, what guarantee do I have that X company would be better than AIL, what logical sense does it make for me to go through additional expense and time to get into another training program with another company and how is it going to look to future employers that I signed a contract and immediately went back on my word and quit? I am not that kind of person. If I was in your shoes and had a mountain of experience and many previous companies; I suppose it would make sense to just quit and go with X unknown company instead. But when you are in my shoes, have no real field experience, have not memorized the script yet, have not gone through training yet, just got your license 3 days ago, and this is the only company you know; I don't see how just quitting and going back on your contract/word while costing you additional time/expense to go with X unknown company while making a bad name for yourself in the industry makes any logical, financial, or ethical sense. I do listen and I do recognize everyone here knows more than me. AIL could be a disappointing experience but I need the training at the very least and I am already in the system. So far, I do like the people and the location is within 8 minutes of my location. So far, it has been a good experience for me, I do like the people, and I have no complaints or reason to just quit. If I do fail, I am not going to blame a company or anyone else. Its my fault if I fail or succeed in anything in life. I don't intend on having a 9-5 job or go back into banking if I can avoid it. I am committed to being an insurance agent and I will make it work if I have to go through five companies.

Wish you nothing but the best of luck make sure and check back in with us to let us know how you are doing 6 months from today :)

I'm in Louisiana, was with AIL over 10 years ago, and I also started my insurance career there.

They did help me get my insurance license, so I'm grateful for that. I worked there 6 weeks and only made 1 sale. I knew their presentation word for word.

They guy that trained me was nice, but had only been in the business about 3 months, and he drove me around for 1 week while I watched him make a couple of sales.

After 6 weeks, I left and went captive with a Medicare Supplement company for about 5 years, and have been independent since.

It's been over 10 years since I've worked for them so take that with a grain a salt. Their operation could be different now. The reason I'm posting this is, if things don't work out for you, don't let your experience with AIL determine your prospective of the insurance business. There are a lot of good opportunities out there. Also, reading this forum is the best thing you can do starting your insurance sales career. Good Luck!

I appreciate your response and its good to know I have another brother in Louisiana. I am honored that you made an account to create your response. Maybe we can meet up or talk on the phone some time.

As for my manager situation; my direct supervisor has been there over a year, the one above him who hired me and trained my direct supervisor has been there over 2 years and he worked his way up and has a lot of performance frames on his wall, the girl in his office (I don't know her title) has been there over 2 years, and the main top office manager has been there over 3 years and has an MBA.

I see pictures on facebook of people from my office posted together and going out to eat so I assume they are friends and hang out. I like all of them and I have had no negative experiences so far. All of the people I have seen have been there over a year so its a good sign. I hear people on the phones talking with clients so I already have an idea of how to schedule appointments.

It sounds like you felt the leads were poor or the product was not competitive with others so clients would not buy? I am not sure and I can only assume. 10 Years is a long time and I will certainly write a review for the benefit of the forum good or bad and to let you know if things have changed. We bring a laptop and show presentations on it so it makes the sales script easier. Thank you.

Back