New Independent Agent Looking for Ways to Insert Self into Community

I'm not an agent but I am a marketing person with sales experience in non-profit donations, cable sales, ad sales, B2B personnel sales, and marketing strategy. I'll break it down from that perspective.

Dialing for dollars is basically advertising. People ignore advertising by and large. The new way is content marketing. Mostly this is done on the internet, but you can do it IRL as well. Start by volunteering and/or donating money to local groups that are a bit under the radar. In my area there are park cleanup events every 6 months where volunteers go pick up dog poop and trash from a local park. Find something like this, donate $50 for plastic bags, volunteer a couple hours and start making contacts. This is way less time/money commitment than a Chamber of Commerce event, but more importantly, it demonstrates your personal values to the community and builds trust. Offer to look at seniors' insurance contracts to check for exclusions or pricing. You don't want to necessarily be selling to them, remember, you're just trying to build trust by being a community resource. What you're looking to do here is eventually get referred to their kids, grandkids and business contacts - a warm referral basically. Compare this to dialing for dollars where you get one shot vs. having multiple contacts with people over a long period of time.

Is the under 45 your target market?

Yes. When talking personal lines I want to focus on people 45 or 50 and younger as I believe that's the age group(22-50) that is online. They shop insurance quickly and look for good price, fast service. I live in an area with a lot of older agents that aren't tech savvy. Also, by going viral I can expand my reach. Kind of like GEICO.
That being said, I need to start local.

----------

I'm not an agent but I am a marketing person with sales experience in non-profit donations, cable sales, ad sales, B2B personnel sales, and marketing strategy. I'll break it down from that perspective.

Dialing for dollars is basically advertising. People ignore advertising by and large. The new way is content marketing. Mostly this is done on the internet, but you can do it IRL as well. Start by volunteering and/or donating money to local groups that are a bit under the radar. In my area there are park cleanup events every 6 months where volunteers go pick up dog poop and trash from a local park. Find something like this, donate $50 for plastic bags, volunteer a couple hours and start making contacts. This is way less time/money commitment than a Chamber of Commerce event, but more importantly, it demonstrates your personal values to the community and builds trust. Offer to look at seniors' insurance contracts to check for exclusions or pricing. You don't want to necessarily be selling to them, remember, you're just trying to build trust by being a community resource. What you're looking to do here is eventually get referred to their kids, grandkids and business contacts - a warm referral basically. Compare this to dialing for dollars where you get one shot vs. having multiple contacts with people over a long period of time.

I like these ideas. Great way to get into community. I never thought of these. Thank you.

Yes. When talking personal lines I want to focus on people 45 or 50 and younger as I believe that's the age group(22-50) that is online. They shop insurance quickly and look for good price, fast service. I live in an area with a lot of older agents that aren't tech savvy. Also, by going viral I can expand my reach. Kind of like GEICO.
That being said, I need to start local.

----------

I like these ideas. Great way to get into community. I never thought of these. Thank you.
Go after the millenial market. There's like 70 billion of them out there. And they were born online.

Still don't underestimate canvassing nieghborhoods. I grabbed 12 P&C leads in 3 hours this evening banging on doors!

Thank you all for your ideas.
Even though I have 13 years in insurance I feel you can never stop learning. And now when I'm going out on my own for the 1st time I need all the marketing tools I can get.
Thanks again and if you think of anything else please feel free to post as I will keep looking for them.

I personally love meetup!

You can join a 'networking' group- but there are lots of local interest groups- at least in my area. I belong to everything from spiritual groups to outdoor interests to parenting groups.

The only 'bad' thing for me personally is sometimes I just want to grab the kayak and not be 'on'... but in those cases I skip the group and just go on my own.

You have to put your time in, but it will definitely get you into the community.

ANOTHER great way is non-profits. Find the right one and get active. After putting my time into one that's near and dear to my heart, the directors would introduce me to anyone they know if I ask.

I just found Alignable. It's free to join and you can set up a profile very quickly and easily and it is LOCAL!

Build a solid website. Add Blog Posts weekly at first. Write posts targeted to the people that you wish to sell insurance to.

Absolutely build a website. Absolutely do a blog.
I built my site with 1&1 and they have a feature called "List Local". This will list your site on 30 local directories including Bing, Yahoo, YP and more. In Jeff Roots's book "The Digital Life Insurance Agent" he suggests going after a niche market such as - Insurance for Scuba Divers"
Choose keywords around that niche and blog on that topic as well.

A lot of good ideas here. None of them work unless you do.

I prefer warm leads generated by internet but that can be a slow learning curve.

Social media and "going viral" sounds great but few accomplish it, especially if you are selling insurance.

Understand that most social media is not folks looking to buy insurance. If you want to target people under 45 Twitter is supposed to be a good resource. LinkedIn can be good for B2B.

If you really want to concentrate on local, get advice from folks who know and understand Google Local. This is a good place to start if you want to learn. Might also pick up some free advice and find someone who will help for a fee.

Most of all, do something you like. I didn't say enjoy because most folks hate cold calling in any form.

You may be different.

If you hate door knocking (I refuse to do it) and don't want to telemarket (I never answer the phone or door if I don't know who it is) find something you will do.

As for telemarketing, quite a few folks no longer have landlines. Getting a good list of personal home phone numbers and scrubbed data is more difficult.

Good luck

Back