New Independent Agent Looking for Ways to Insert Self into Community

Aiapa

Hello,
I'm a new Independent Broker in an area where I have lived for about 5 years. I have been in insurance for 13 years as an insurance producer for another Agency, but I am now going out on my own. My soon to be former employer is an hour away from my home and new location, so I haven't entered my home area too much.
In the past I have tried to join professional groups near my hometown, but have been told that they are not in need of any other Insurance professionals.
My business will be about 75% commercial and 25% personal lines.
Also, my are does not have younger agents. Just 2 older, stable independents and about 6 captives in an area of 40,000 people.
I am not afraid to travel an hour to talk to people if it's a good prospect, but want to bolster local business too.
I will have an office on a well traveled road, will have a good, tech savvy website, business cards, and I'm not afraid to talk with people. But I need people to get to that website and talk to me directly. I need to get my name out there in an inexpensive, but productive way.
Can you please give some guidance on how to get my name out there in my community?
Thank you for your anticipated responses.

The fastest and most inexpensive way to get your name out there is to pick up the phone and dial!

Afraid of the phone? Start here!

I can appreciate that answer, but any way to get phone numbers for local people as anyone under 45 doesn't have a home phone anymore.
And leads are too expensive and unreliable.

I heard Facebook might be catching on....

Do a giveaway at a local store, with your name on the bowl that collects cards.

Start a BNI group. They can only have 1 P&C guy

Wear a shirt/hat with your logo on it, so people ask what you do

Send out 300 letters announcing the new gig

Door knock. Drop off cookies and collect x dates.

Above all....get off the computer. Even sitting in a local Starbucks is more productive than sitting at home.

The fastest and most inexpensive way to get your name out there is to pick up the phone and dial!

Afraid of the phone? Start here!

I can appreciate that answer, but any way to get phone numbers for local people as anyone under 45 doesn't have a home phone anymore.
You said you do will do 75% commercial, that's where I would focus my calls during the day. Start with the city or county business license division, if there's such a thing in your state. They can print you off a list. You can also get unlimited business lists from listshack.

Door knock for personal lines. It's not hard to generate 7-10 leads a day canvassing, plus you can see what shape thier roof is in!

Is the under 45 your target market?

Sponsor a Little League baseball team next summer.

And a youth soccer team :yes:

Seriously. Forget BNI groups or a Chamber of Commerce. Waste of time and money.

Networking is good but do it on a more personal level. Reach out to mortgage brokers, realtors, home inspection businesses, property management businesses, etc. What about your existing book of business? Let them know you have a new gig.

Back