Newbie in need of Advice about insurance sales

Jman

I just got my Life & Health license a month ago and am now looking into two areas of insurance sales. The first is "Mortgage Protection" Insurance & the other is "Medical Advantage" programs.

I was in contact with several people from NAA and after further review have decided against going with them. I have been in the mortgage business for the past 11 years and am now starting over career wise. I see alot of similarity between both professions and am looking forward to a new career change.

Ironicly NAA is what promted me to get into this business. I found them on the web and got drawn into their sales pitch. I also answered an add on craigslist where a company called ETA was looking for LIC agents to sell Medicare Advantage products - they told me that they would get me five appointments a day and pay me $100.00 per enrollee, pay at the end of the week. That sounded great, but now they have me going through six online certification courses for the various carriers and it's getting to be a bit much. The guy who is my sales manager hasn't even called me but once since I started this process four weeks ago.

So my question - is selling Medicare Advantage products worth me investing my time and effort? Should I concentrate on the Mortgage Protection insurance sales seeing that it's closer to my former carreer?

Any input would be great, this forum is also great. Use to have one just like this for the mortgage brokers.

I also found a guy who will hire me to sell MPI and the pay is 95% I pay for my own leads, but using his mail house and data guys. All reply mail will come back to my office. Mail campaign / cost pretty much the same as in the mortgage business. This guys company is called ........
I found him looking for lead generating ideas.

Thanks again

John

Last edited:
I personally think that an agent should go into a house, uncover the need to protect the mortgage, and the income, and the future earnings, and the kids' college fund, and maybe the client has a business, etc. A whole needs annalysis.

Not just protect the mortgage only- and get out of the house.

Get with a large company who actually trains you to do a needs analysis.

Last edited:
I personally think that an agent should go into a house, uncover the need to protect the mortgage, and the income, and the future earnings, and the kids' college fund, and maybe the client has a business, etc. A whole needs annalysis.

Not just protect the mortgage only- and get out of the house.

Get with a large company who actually trains you to do a needs analysis.

A lot of that also depends on the repour and connection you feel you have with the client. If this is your first visit, solve what the client feels is his immediate need, and pursue further business as you establish yourself. If all the customer wants, or can afford, is a pair of shoes, and you try to sell them a new wardrobe, their off to the next store.

I went through all the medicare advantage training and have got fed up with that. But it is a good way to meet clients for rolling there 401k or ira to annuities, final expense. First figure out what they need and then you can provide them with a lot more services.

A lot of that also depends on the repour and connection you feel you have with the client. If this is your first visit, solve what the client feels is his immediate need, and pursue further business as you establish yourself. If all the customer wants, or can afford, is a pair of shoes, and you try to sell them a new wardrobe, their off to the next store.

Repour? I think you mean rapport----unless you are referring to repouring that old kool-aid into another cup!:policeman:

P.s. Anyone else notice that lately a lot of old threads are being revived.:skeptical:

Back