Non Compete Agreements

love2serve

Expert
I have had GA's tell me in the past to go to my former clients and replace their insurance policies. My reply I have a non-compete agreement in place. Their reply is most non compete agreements are able to easily get around. I have always been weary of doing such a thing. Seriously. I dont even like to replace any policies at all. I will do it but very rarely. So what about the Non compete agreements today? Do they really hold water? Thoughts please.

I have had GA's tell me in the past to go to my former clients and replace their insurance policies. My reply I have a non-compete agreement in place. Their reply is most non compete agreements are able to easily get around. I have always been weary of doing such a thing. Seriously. I dont even like to replace any policies at all. I will do it but very rarely. So what about the Non compete agreements today? Do they really hold water? Thoughts please.

Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation agreements are two totally different things. A Non-Compete can put you out of business. It means you can not compete with your former employer which means selling the same product within a certain area for a certain period of time even to non-customers of your former employer...A Non-solicitation agreement means you willnot solicit your former clients for a period of time...Sometimes a nonsolicit is written as a noncompete.

No one on here can give you the answer you need you need to take your contract to an attorney in your state and have them review it.

I am all for abiding by a contract you knowingly signed. Having said that going beyond what the contract specifically states is foolish. I had a contract where among other things the way it was literally worded only affected 1 county in my state. Even if another clause didn't kill that whole section I was going to compete everywhere the contract didn't specifically state, your employer dictated the terms and wrote the contract he is just as bound by it as you.

Last edited:
A non-compete is difficult to enforce, but there is a question of ethics on these situations.

A non-compete is difficult to enforce, but there is a question of ethics on these situations.

Eithics is an issue. I would honor the agreement as best as I can during the agreed period. Hoiwever, there can also be an issue of cost. Whether a non-compete or non-solicitation agreement is legal enforceable or not it can still become very expensive to defend yourself should the previous company decide to come after you and sue you.

As mentioned it's best to speak with an attorney as different states have different laws. Something to consider is anyone can suggest for you to not abide by a noncompete but it's you who will pay the consequences or have to defend yourself.. Try to get someone to admit in court that they told you not to abide by your former agreement.

Back