Non-residence Licensing Question?

Roy2015

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Nevada
Hi everyone...I have a question about getting a non-residence license.
Here is my situation...

My resident license is in the state of Georgia. However I no longer live in Georgia and I now live in Nevada. I have been living in Nevada for 10 months now. I would like to start selling medicare supps here but I know I will not stay here for more than a year or two. So I would like to leave my resident state as Georgia and just get a non-residence here. Is it possible to get a non-residence license here in Nevada even though I have had a drivers license here for over 10 months now? I'm trying to avoid having to take the course all over again and have to pass the test as time is kind of an issue for me now?

What do you guys think? Anybody have any ideas about how I can go about doing this? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Roy:

Most states do not require taking the test or any of the prelicense requirements if you werer licensed in your previous state and in good standing.
From NV Ins. comm website:
An applicant for licensing in this state who was previously licensed for the same lines of authority in another state need not complete any education or examination if the application is received within ninety (90) days after the cancellation of his or her license. The applicant may provide an original Letter of Clearance from the previous resident state to document the cancellation date.

You'll need to cancel your GA license and complete the form for NV.

I hope this helps.

What happens to your renewals if you move to another state and have no domicile in your home state for several years? Do you keep your renewals? Some of us are very mobile. I move from Tennessee to Maryland and back frequently for years at a time. Can you swap a resident license for a non resident license while swapping a non resident license for a resident license?

Most states require you to get a resident license within 30-60 days of moving, 90 days at the latest. Usually the process is as simple as giving the new state your licensing info from your old state and they may want some type of letter of release basically saying they terminated your license since you moved, but where in good order at the time without facing any disciplinary actions. Again, can vary by state, but that's the gist of it.

FSpruill, I can appreciate the inconvenience, but odds are what you're suggesting is illegal. With most products your renewals are tied to having been licensed at the time you wrote it vs currently being licensed.

Can you have two resident states? What happens if you move from one state to the next? Do you lose your life time commissions? If your renewals are tied to your license and you rotate between two states then how do you maintain your renewals if your residence keeps switching between the two states?

Answer: You don't , you lose all of your renewals.

Last edited:
Can you have two resident states? What happens if you move from one state to the next? Do you lose your life time commissions? If your renewals are tied to your license and you rotate between two states then how do you maintain your renewals if your residence keeps switching between the two states?

You've got that backwards. As Josh said, "your renewals are tied to having been licensed at the time you wrote it vs currently being licensed."

I'm sure there are others, but MA plans are the only I can think of off the top of my head where you have to be licensed to get renewals.

This is all covered in the licensing and admittedly it's boring, but you need a resident license in the state you are a resident of. Since you listed Maryland, here's what Maryland has to say on the issue:

Q. I am moving to Maryland from another state, and wish to become licensed in Maryland as a resident. What is
required?
A. 1. If the applicant currently holds an active Maryland nonresident license they must submit a request for an address change
within 90 days of the previous home state license cancellation. The request must include the licensee’s current Maryland
license number, the new residence address, mailing address, and business address if applicable. Maryland will verify the
clearance electronically via the National Producer Database (PDB).
A. 2. If the applicant does not hold an active Maryland nonresident license they must submit a new license application and
the appropriate fee within 90 days of the previous home state license cancellation. If the application is received within the 90
day period the licensee will be exempt from the pre-licensing and examination requirements. Maryland will verify the
clearance electronically via the National Producer Database (PDB).
Q. When a Resident Licensee from Maryland moves out of state and becomes a resident in a new state, what
procedures must they follow to convert their Maryland license to non-resident license?
A. The licensee must submit a change of address and request that the license be re-activated with a nonresident status within
90 days. Maryland will verify the clearance electronically via the National Producer Database (PDB). If the request is not
received within 90 days of the resident license being canceled a new license application and fee are required.

https://www.mdinsurance.state.md.us/sa/docs/documents/producer/licensing-docs/faqs_licensing.pdf

What you do is between you and the powers that be, but the way the laws are written if you move from one state to another then you need to become licensed in the new state (most states it's simple and does not require more tests if you already had a licensed) and then get a non-resident license for the state you where in.

Roy:

Most states do not require taking the test or any of the prelicense requirements if you werer licensed in your previous state and in good standing.
From NV Ins. comm website:
An applicant for licensing in this state who was previously licensed for the same lines of authority in another state need not complete any education or examination if the application is received within ninety (90) days after the cancellation of his or her license. The applicant may provide an original Letter of Clearance from the previous resident state to document the cancellation date.

You'll need to cancel your GA license and complete the form for NV.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Mclean for your response...

I see here that the Nevada Ins. comm states here that I must get them the application within 90 days of cancelling my license in Georgia. Does it matter that I have lived here in Nevada for almost a year with an inactive residence license in Georgia? I haven't cancelled my license in Georgia yet so does this mean I can cancel it now and I have 90 days to apply for a residence license here in Nevada. Or have I lived here too long already to try and do this? I don't see why I couldn't just do it now but idk...What you think? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Mclean for your response...

I see here that the Nevada Ins. comm states here that I must get them the application within 90 days of cancelling my license in Georgia. Does it matter that I have lived here in Nevada for almost a year with an inactive residence license in Georgia? I haven't cancelled my license in Georgia yet so does this mean I can cancel it now and I have 90 days to apply for a residence license here in Nevada. Or have I lived here too long already to try and do this? I don't see why I couldn't just do it now but idk...What you think? Thanks in advance!

While you are ruminating and strategizing make sure that you are in compliance with your Georgia licensing regs. I will bet you two nipples and a dime that there is a requirement that you need to notify them in writing within something like 30 days if you have a chance in address and/or phone number. Did you do this? Your first post seems to indicate that you believe that Georgia is still your residence because you want to designate it as such. Never a good sign when you pull out your Nevada drivers license to confirm your Georgia residency.

Probably you will not run into an issue but insurance departments are serious about having the right contact info on file not just for licensing applications but in case they need to contact you about consumer or compliance issues. be careful you don't end out getting dinged for being licensed but moving without notifying them as required. Clean that up and keep everything copesthetic and convivial. Probably you can avoid getting into it by just notifying them that you have moved out of state and wish to cancel/de-activate your license and leave it at that.

Last edited:
While you are ruminating and strategizing make sure that you are in compliance with your Georgia licensing regs. I will bet you two nipples and a dime that there is a requirement that you need to notify them in writing within something like 30 days if you have a chance in address and/or phone number. Did you do this? Your first post seems to indicate that you believe that Georgia is still your residence because you want to designate it as such. Never a good sign when you pull out your Nevada drivers license to confirm your Georgia residency.

Probably you will not run into an issue but insurance departments are serious about having the right contact info on file not just for licensing applications but in case they need to contact you about consumer or compliance issues. be careful you don't end out getting dinged for being licensed but moving without notifying them as required. Clean that up and keep everything copesthetic and convivial. Probably you can avoid getting into it by just notifying them that you have moved out of state and wish to cancel/de-activate your license and leave it at that.

"two nipples and a dime" Nice!

Thanks for your response Winter. Yea if my license had been active and I had been using it I definitely would have notified the Georgia dept. when I moved. But it was kind of out of site out of mind at that time so I let the window pass.

I'm jus wondering if I have lived here as a resident in Nevada for too long to switch this to my resident state. I'm not as worried about Georgia troubles as I am running in to problems here in Nevada when I try and make this my resident state.

If anyone else has suggestions please feel free to send them this way. Thanks in advance!

Back