Non Resident License

Thanks for the replies guys, I was just making sure it is ok to live in a neighboring state from the home state where your office is located, and it sounds like you need to have your primary license where you reside and the non resident license then for the state your office is in if your not living there full time. I was probably just over thinking it.

Resident state is where you live. Everything else is non-resident. You must have a resident license from the state where you live in order to get a non-resident license in another state. Also, you must be licensed in every state in which you conduct business.

KISS

Resident state is where you live. Everything else is non-resident. You must have a resident license from the state where you live in order to get a non-resident license in another state. Also, you must be licensed in every state in which you conduct business.

KISS

Right I knew that. I just wasn't sure if you were living in a neighboring state to the one your office is but you weren't selling much in the new state you live in if you could still have the resident license there as well even if the office location in the other state is where majority of your business is written. Basically the situation would be wanting to live on the coast and primary office is inland and the neighboring state adjacent to where you would live.

Last edited:
Right I knew that. I just wasn't sure if you were living in a neighboring state to the one your office is but you weren't selling much in the new state you live in if you could still have the resident license there as well even if the office location in the other state is where majority of your business is written. Basically the situation would be wanting to live on the coast and primary office is inland and the neighboring state adjacent to where you would live.

That isn't KISS. :biggrin:

Sometimes you can do what InsCommentary suggests. The neighboring state will let you get a resident license even though you live across the state line.

However, what if you have a chance to write business where you live? Now what do you do, get a non-resident in your resident state? Have two resident licenses, have to get a resident license where you live and convert your resident to a non-resident where your office is located?

So again, KISS. Two license fees won't kill you, and if it does you have bigger problems. The only coastal state I am aware of with expensive fees is Hawaii, and I know it isn't there as they have no neighboring state. This way you can write business in your home state or the state where your office is located without ever having to worry about licensing.

Hey Boat..The company also needs to be licensed to do business in the state you want to be appointed. You also want to make sure your company will allow you to be licensed in the other state. They may want to see first that you can sell in your current state. Good luck! Hope that helps..

Back