Non Resident License

BoatNFun

Good evening everyone, have a quick question. Can an agent be employed to write p&c insurance in one state where their office is located but live another say neighboring state? Would a non resident license work in that type of scenario?

You will probably need to be licensed in your home state first. From there, getting nonresident licenses is usually as easy as filling out an app and paying a fee. Some states require a person to approve the app, others I've been approved in less than 5 minutes after normal business hours.

Even if you might not be writing much in the state you live in, but write the majority in the neighboring state where your office is located? That's what was confusing to me.

I know my coworker has non resident licenses in a couple neighboring states, he never mentioned anything about the fees.

Even if you might not be writing much in the state you live in, but write the majority in the neighboring state where your office is located? That's what was confusing to me.

My understanding is that you must first get a resident license, which is based on the state you live in. You can then apply for non-resident licenses for the states you want to work/write business in.

My resident state is NJ. Im licensed in NJ and NY. NY being the non resident state, I pay 80$ every two years for my p&c, L&H. I write business in both states.

To the OP, you must have resident license where you reside.

If your office is in neighboring state then you would need obviously need to get your Non-resident license in that state. It does not matter where the majority of Business comes from.

I know a guy that lost his license because he didn't realize he had crossed state line while on an appointment. He was not licensed in that state. DOi made an example of him (TN/GA stateline).

Thanks for the replies guys, I was just making sure it is ok to live in a neighboring state from the home state where your office is located, and it sounds like you need to have your primary license where you reside and the non resident license then for the state your office is in if your not living there full time. I was probably just over thinking it.

Back