Northwestern Mutual As a First Time Insurance Salesman?

Don't know anything about working for them but I have my life insurance with them and love the policy and service.

So the new development in this interview process is they want me to cut my hair (i have locs).. they are treading lightly on the subject though...

excuse the filters this was the lowest file size i could find

Attachments

• instagrampic.jpg
    instagrampic.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
So the new development in this interview process is they want me to cut my hair (i have locs).. they are treading lightly on the subject though...

Guess it's time to cut them down. :idea:

Locs and a suit aren't bad together. However, that is definitely not NWM's look. Think Brooks Brothers, wingtips, and short hair. What are you going to do?

Last edited:
Locs and a suit aren't bad together. What are you going to do?

My initial thought was to make a "plea bargain" if you will and offer a performance compromise. Something like "if i am able to write blank amount of business in my first 3 months I keep them but if they are truly a hindrance to my performance I can chop them"

I'm certainly not married to them its just hair but at the same time I am sold on the industry as a whole not necessarily pledging my allegiance to Northwestern Mutual...

So at this point I'm just waiting to hear the final verdict.

Here is some more background info: I bought some term for my fiancee and I from a Northwestern guy & he told me he was coming to be the managing director of the office in my city in a few months. I expressed an interest so he had me take the personality assessment which lead me to the interview with the current director. He mentioned diversity being a positive based on the majority of who represents the company but asked if the hair was negotiable, I expressed why I thought it would be an asset more than a hindrance. He said he appreciated my honesty and said it wasnt a deal breaker he was just curious and we proceeded forward.

Then the managing partner called (i guess he's over a certain region comprised of several managing directors) we played phone tag but on his second voicemail he mentioned discussing a "dress code and certain look based on the clients we work with".

In the meantime the original agent who sold me the policy (the rising managing director for this area) has been playing the middle man and so I text him that it sounded like the hair was going to be a deal breaker after all he basically said "it came up in discussion" so i didnt respond and he responded a few more times, building up the position & company (2 pensions fully funded, etc i guess that's what most people on here call the koolaid? lol) and he built me up also i guess saying they could see the drive coupled with my contacts..

I havent responded but the managing partner told me to call Monday so we'll see...

If there is a MetLife Auto and Home near you, it would be worth checking out. I am just finishing the training portion. Training lasts 16 weeks, you get paid $600.00 a week at the end of the program you get 10% of any premium you sold during the 16 weeks. After that you get an office and a salary for 2 years plus 15% commission. They will be sending me out the Rhode Island soon for more training. I came in with very little experience and so far I'm doing pretty good. Defiantly something to look into.

If there is a MetLife Auto and Home near you, it would be worth checking out. I am just finishing the training portion. Training lasts 16 weeks, you get paid $600.00 a week at the end of the program you get 10% of any premium you sold during the 16 weeks. After that you get an office and a salary for 2 years plus 15% commission. They will be sending me out the Rhode Island soon for more training. I came in with very little experience and so far I'm doing pretty good. Defiantly something to look into.

That sounds pretty good I have been leaning more towards L&H but that's one of the more solid pay programs for new agents, is it a draw? (the 600)

That sounds pretty good I have been leaning more towards L&H but that's one of the more solid pay programs for new agents, is it a draw? (the 600)

Have you talked to Metlife about doing L&H with them?

Im not sure what you mean by draw? But its considered a salary, I will never have to pay it back, even if I dropped out of the program. While in training I can sell Auto home and all of that. After training I can sell life and health. The first year salary after training is 24000/year plus 15% commission the second year is 12,000/year plus 15% commission and 7% residuals. 3rd year there is no commission but any new business is at 19% and it lowers back to 10% over a few years. They also pay rent for an office and give money for marketing. It is a very good program. If you send me a message I can email you some of the documents I have about the program.

Have you talked to Metlife about doing L&H with them?

Starting the research now.. the closest offices that are not individual agents are about an hour to an hour & a half away... from what Karweik has said it sounds pretty attractive, I think for Florida the program is a little bit different looks like 7 week training program.

Another company a friend from church recommended was ING. Any information on them?

Back