NY Non-Resident Licesne Question...

SpinsAgency

Expert
NY Non-Resident License Question...

I am looking to get my non-resident license for NY and I am a bit confused. They have Broker and Agent licenses. I have 2 direct P&C appointments and no health/life direct appointments.

So...if I get the non-resident P&C Agent license can I also sell other policies that I am not direct with as a Broker?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's been a while since I took the test and new the difference, so I'd give them a call, but I'm pretty sure that if you get an agent license you can do anything you'd like and that the broker might be the one that limits you. When I was a resident I had a resident agent license and used that to work directly for companies as well as to work as an independent.

Short answer: Agent license should cover everything you want, but I'd call or email the DOI (now called the DFS) about it to be certain.

It's been a while since I took the test and new the difference, so I'd give them a call, but I'm pretty sure that if you get an agent license you can do anything you'd like and that the broker might be the one that limits you. When I was a resident I had a resident agent license and used that to work directly for companies as well as to work as an independent.

Short answer: Agent license should cover everything you want, but I'd call or email the DOI (now called the DFS) about it to be certain.

HAHAHA email them...I did just that. this is the response I received:

"We can't tell you what license to apply for.

Agents must have company appointments

and Brokers can work for anyone and does not need that company appointment"

They were useless!

HAHAHA email them...I did just that. this is the response I received:

"We can't tell you what license to apply for.

Agents must have company appointments

and Brokers can work for anyone and does not need that company appointment"

They were useless!

Haha, nice. Yeah, I just looked it up and I had an agent license and that let me do captive and broker work.

Have the carriers been as helpful as the DOI? Sometimes the contracting folks can be a great resource.

if you planning to tell your appointments about ny, you need agent

if you want to charge broker fee, you need broker.

You can have both simultaneously.

And the agent need company appointment is for life i believe.

Back