Office vs. Home Appoitments/Securing the appointment

Survivor

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I want to get everyone's take on this. I just started with my new company and I'm loving it (AGLA). The products are great and I think the fact finding system and software helps the sales process seem more like an advising session versus a sales pitch. I wanted to try my hand at a different approach for appointments: Instead of going to the customer's home, have them come to the office. I almost make it seem like they NEED to come by the office. "...alright then Mr. Prospect, why don't we set up a time for you to come by the office and I'll explain the options and we'll find the best solution together." I'm just taking a guess here, but IMO the office sets a better tone for the customer. Some may say that the customer will feel more comfortable in his home, but I'm thinking its natural to be defensive when some one you don't know comes to your home and asks for your money. I'm thinking it sets a "I'm here being advised by a professional" vs. "this guy operates like the vacuum cleaner salesmen" tone. Of course, there will be more lost appointments, and those I will come back with "I understand you're busy and couldn't make it, how about I come by your home so it's more convenient for you."

Thoughts on this method?

Also, I'm wondering what you all think of my method for securing the appointment. When I establish who I am I say, "Mr. Prospect, I just recently changed over to this company and I'm very excited about the choices and plans that we have (I actually am), and I just know that you'll enjoy seeing these options." This seems to work, but I'm worried that I'm violating the old saying "under promise and over deliver."

Thoughts?

Is it generally difficult to get them in the office?

What phrases are you using for setting the appointment and getting them to the office? Am I using good language for this, or have I just gotten lucky?

What phrases are you using for setting the appointment and getting them to the office? Am I using good language for this, or have I just gotten lucky?

If its working its working, don't second guess success.

If they want to come to the office great, but i actually prefer for 1st appointments to go to their home, it is much more difficult for them to not show up if i go there vs. them coming to my offcie. I would say most of my appointments started in the home and then transitioned to the office. Probably a 50/50 mix now.

Most of my sales are over the phone. For the most part, face to face is old school and very expensive. But I do some F2F meetings.

Most of the time we find a place that is half way between. Any time you can get a prospect to get off their butt you have a much better chance of turning them into a client.

I have met a few in their place of business but that puts you in a weak position. You are on their ground and they are in control. You can take over if you work it right. Never sit where they want you to but rather direct them to a different area. If you tell them where to sit, even going so far as to rearrange the chairs, you have established yourself to take control.

The last meeting I had in a clients office was with a guy that was a real control freak. He ushered me in to the conference room then excused himself to go take care of some things. When he returned he sat across the table from me. I let him sit there for a few minutes then pulled out my proposal. I told him it would be better for him to move to my side so I could point out some things of interest. He got up and moved, that is when I knew I had him.

Even though I had a copy of the proposal, we worked from the only one on the table. I turned the pages, I underlined and pointed to what I wanted him to see. I was in control.

He bought.

somarco-

"Even though I had a copy of the proposal, we worked from the only one on the table. I turned the pages, I underlined and pointed to what I wanted him to see. I was in control."

I always do this. Was taught to me a long time ago and I continue to do it. Never give them a seperate proposal. They just start to thumb through and forget your there at all. They go right for the cost page.

Office all the way. It would mainly depend on where your office is located. My office in right of a main freeway in downtown. Therefore I always schedule my appointments in my office. Closing appointment when client comes out to see me in my office is nearly 100%. I cannot remember last case I did not close in my office. No driving, no traffic, no waisted time. If client does not show up it does not make any difference. I definitely do not want my clients to know where I live.

Almost all of my appts. are in my office. When I first started I would drive all over the city until I realized how much time I was wasting. IMHO if they come see you usually they are more serious.

Matt

Which insurance product are you starting with?

This may help determine a pitch.

Back