Online Yellow Pages Scam

Full Throttle

Guru
1000 Post Club
Midwest
Be careful when you get a call from these guys, they pose as YellowPages.com and try to trick you into agreeing to their services. Call went something like this:

Them: "We want to verify your information for our free online listing, it's at no cost and you will soon receive something in the mail with our other services. You will only be charged if you accept."

They then start recording prompts for me to state my business information: name, business, phone, ect. Last question from the recording:

"Please verify you understand the terms and you will be billed $35/month for 12 months. Do you agree to the terms stated?"

I said no and hung up. I get a call back, they emphasize I will not be charged by saying yes. I told them I will not say "yes" and take me off your list. They called me at least 10 more times from an "unknown" phone number again yesterday which I ignored.

Which brings me to this morning:

They call, I answer and tell them "I'm not interested, please take me off list." Hang up.

They call right back, this time I'm getting very upset, and say in no uncertain terms: "You are tying up my business line. STOP CALLING ME!"

They immediately call right back a third time, this time I've lost it (which for those that know me, takes a lot): "ARE YOU F------ SLOW, LET ME BE CLEAR IN WHAT I'M SAYING, GO F---YOURSELF AND LEAVE ME ALONE!"

No more calls so far. I googled "online yellow pages" and there are multiple pages explaining the scam and comments by those who have been scammed. It happens in two parts:

#1: They call and tell you it will be free, get people to say "yes" to verifying the charges, then send you a bill for $400. Many businesses pay it without knowing better.

#2: If you do not pay, they consistently harass you with collection calls, impose stiff late penalties, and threaten to ruin your business credit score (a joke). If you question the charges, they play back the recording of you authorizing them. Many people get scared and pay.

From reading online: they also send fake bills in the mail and in small print on the back, write "this is not a bill" to trick people into paying them. Their logo is almost identical to the legit Yellow Pages company.

Be careful, I hate the thought of a scam like this getting even a dime.

Last edited:
hahahaha....the yellow pages are dead to began with....they should have been the first google....but kept thinking people wanted those thick books every year.....

Be careful when you get a call from these guys, they pose as YellowPages.com

What is a phonebook? Is that what you all had back in the days you had 8 track, and payphones?

Is that the thing you use to look up peoples phone numbers in the old days?

I need to buy one of those, it may be worth some money one day and I can show my kids.

Be careful, I hate the thought of a scam like this getting even a dime.

Thanks for the warning. I've heard they just want you to say the exact word, "yes", or "okay". So, when you answer them, don't even say something like, "I've told you before, I won't say 'yes' to your question." or don't say, "Okay... this is a scam. Please don't call again". They'll take that word "yes" or "okay" as their answer and bill you anyway. It would never stand up in court, but who wants to take this all the way to court?

Mark, the phone books are great for use in your out house. It saves on the expense for toilet paper. I was rold by Rick that you guys in Griffin still have out houses. True?

FP this would be a good case to report to John P for his new scam alert site.

I just put them on hold till they hang up. That is better than trying to talk to them. Better than hanging up because sometimes it takes a while for them to figure out that they are on there alone and I ain't coming back. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yeah, how do you get rid of those jerk offs? I get a call from them almost weekly and it drives me nuts. You'd think they would get tired of getting f-bombed to death after awhile.

Back