PA - Applying to Work for an Agent at Allstate or StateFarm

BagelLady

Hello, I am new to this forum. Happy New Year to all of you.

I am applying to various Allstate and StateFarm agencies to work as a licensed producer. In PA with my property and casualty insurance license, I can sell auto/home/renters/fire etc....

One agent quoted a starting pay $30k, plus commissions but didn't elaborate on exactly how that works.

I've worked in industry for about 8 years (corporate and broker side). Then, I left and worked in a completely different field.

Now, I'd like to return to insurance. I have my P&C license now.

I think the starting pay at that rate is quite low. Agents can pay whatever they want. I can't rely on commissions, so what is a realistic salary?

My career goal is really to work in claims. Since I haven't been able to land anything in insurance claims, can working in an agent's office be a good start?

Aside from learning this Co's products, are there any other unforseen challenges I can anticipate or any questions I should present to the agent so I can walk away with a better understanding of the work expectations?

What area are you in? In a lot of places a $30k base salary is a lot. Actually even in high rent areas $30k still may be generous for a producer based on the commission you are getting.

And if you want to end up in claims can't you apply for an entry level claims job? I did that for awhile don't know why you would want to if you can make the same money or more with the freedom of being in sales. But good luck either way.

You want to sell insurance, but you are focused on the salary and not the commissions?

Do yourself a favor and find another line of work. You want a sales job, but don't like commissions. You are destined for failure and frustration.

Hey, you both made some great points.

I have limited job opportunities in the Phila area (unfortunately). I have few connections since I just moved here, so I'm doing my best to survive.

Yes, I'd like to work on the Company side in Claims then move to an outside field adjuster. But I'm over "40" and am very SORRY to say, I mistakenly went back to college to earn a Masters degree because I like to learn.

I wanted to get on a CPCU track, but I won't go there with that right now.

I'm trying to get work but it costs a lot to live here. I'm couch-surfing it until I find the right job. The only options I have are working for an agent. I can't get a company claims trainee job. I guess the masters is bumping me completely out of the system since the outsourced recruiters who aren't direct employees of the Co don't know me.

If I KNEW someone who would give me a chance, I'd be grateful. I worked in P&C sales (Co side in customer service call center and did WC Claims). I'd like to do P&C claims, but I can't get in.

No, I don't want to focus on the salary, but I have to qualify to live somewhere. $30 in Philly (city or burbs) is low. Commissions are not a guarantee. I'm not married so I'm the sole breadwinner. I don't have a car either, since I lost everything and I'm starting completely over on my own.

Agent, its not for you. If you don't have the confidence in yourself that you will earn enough commissions to bring your income to where you need it to be, you will fail. It is as simple as that.

Also, I fail to see how selling insurance will have any impact on your ability to handle claims. Finally, no agent is going to be interested in hiring you if he finds out he is just a stepping stone.

I hear you. I can do it. I have never worked on commissions so I don't know what it is like.

I haven't made any final decisions. I'm just exploring options and getting info from your helpful ideas from here.

I'm driven. I think commissions would go mostly to the agency owner. I would just be the agent to endorse that process.

Just trying to budget and figure out a plan. And I don't want to waste anyone's time or money.

Hello there!
I'm in Pittsburgh (I lived in Philly for a bit about 10 years ago). You can do anything that you set your mind to..don't listen to some of these grizzled old hacks on here..you can make a decent living on commission w/o eating/breathing/sleeping insurance sales.

Good Luck!
John

Do you have claims experience? Auto, property what? If you are experienced I have a hard time believing you can't get in with a company...especially here in PA with all the weather cats we've had lately.

I have a friend that works for SF here in FL which I believe has a lower cost of living (central FL). He makes $700/week plus commissions. But it's not much commission though, I think he gets $5 per Auto ins and maybe a little more on Auto loan.
I laughed the other night when he told me the comm. he gets on life insurance. It was something like 50% up to $200 or something like that.

It's not too bad of a living for him, but he'll never make much money working there.

He wants to be an Agent for SF and I told him that sounds like a bad idea. I recommended him to come here and read up, but I don't think he has

Read this: Becoming a State Farm Agent

I've been reading mixed reviews on Allstate. I have an interview with them in three days myself so I'll get to see how they seem to be. From what I've read so far they don't handle claims well and have higher rates. They do pay employees decent though.

I worked for SF for a bit and I really don't have anything nice to say. For "salary", I was given $500/month, then $700/month after two months. I left during my fourth month. My co-worker, on the same pay schedule, had her "salary" recently cut in half although she has been the top producer in the branch for 5 months straight. The agent didn't explain exactly why, but she said it's because he didn't hit his premium builder for a second month.

I wish I would've taken a job offer at Best Buy before SF. I'm not saying that to sound cool on the internet. It's the truth.

Back