Please Help Me Word this Prospecting Letter

G

I'm wanting to try some new prospecting methods. One of the new methods I want to try is to send letters out to folks on the DNC to offer a quote on their homeowner's insurance.

Here is what I have, please take a look and let me know your comments/thoughts/concerns/etc. Don't hold back (I know you won't)

Mr. Prospect,

Is your Homeowner's Insurance renewing soon? Contact my office today so we can give you a free, no obligation quote on your home with ABC Insurance.

I have been able to save many families in the Mayberry area money on their home insurance and I would like the chance to try to do the same for you. When bundled with ABC's auto insurance some of my clients have saved more than $1,000 a year!

We also offer great rates on commercial, farm, and life insurance.

My agency offers a wide range of products, great rates, and excellent service. I have many satisfied clients throughout our state and would love the opportunity to serve you.

Contact me at (123) 456-7890 or e-mail me at [email protected] so I can prepare a personalized quote for you.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Zzzzz....... ZZZzzzz,,,,ZZZzzzz, huh, what??? Somebody say something???

Personally, I would give examples:

Picture of a nice house: Show sq ft, year built, etc.
Under it put prices:
State Farm: $1750
AllState: $1829
Farmers: $2350
WeSaveYou Insurance: $495

Call Today (555)555-1212

Standard disclaimers apply... insert here.

If you wanted to get a bit fancier, do 3 homes, one entry level, one 'average', one slightly above average (skip the high end).

Put it on a post card. Go to town.

Why? I get mailings all the time promising to save me money. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't normally see a reason to call them unless they give me something I can relate to before the call.

Dan

Zzzzz....... ZZZzzzz,,,,ZZZzzzz, huh, what??? Somebody say something???

Personally, I would give examples:

Picture of a nice house: Show sq ft, year built, etc.
Under it put prices:
State Farm: $1750
AllState: $1829
Farmers: $2350
WeSaveYou Insurance: $495

Call Today (555)555-1212

Standard disclaimers apply... insert here.

If you wanted to get a bit fancier, do 3 homes, one entry level, one 'average', one slightly above average (skip the high end).

Put it on a post card. Go to town.

Why? I get mailings all the time promising to save me money. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't normally see a reason to call them unless they give me something I can relate to before the call.

Dan

That's a very good idea, I think I will work on that and try to come up with a good prototype.

The thought behind the letter was that I was thinking it might seem more personalized and stand out a little more. I get tons of mailings, but they are all generic and impersonal. I was thinking if I have my secretary hand write all the addresses and sign each letter, plus make sure that the letter itself is addressed to the individual prospect. I know I get tons of junk mail that I don't pay attention to. But if I got something that looks like it was sent specifically to me I would probably give it a little more attention.

Do you think it will make a difference or get the same attention as everything else?

I was talking to a man who had a very successful agency in the 90's. He was telling me that in the early 90's he would drive around to people's houses and take pictures of them. Then have them touched up and printed on a postcard. He would put text like, 'Are you paying too much to insure your home?' and send them out. He said he had very good results.

I thought about trying it, but things are different than they were 20 years ago, I don't want to wind up with a restraining order... lol....

That's what they make zillow/google maps for nowadays :) Let someone else do the driving!

Direct mail has changed a lot since the early 90's as well. What worked then may not work now. For instance, I don't even bother to get my mail every day, 99.9% of it is junk mail. I get no personal mail in my mail (its all email nowadays).

Seriously though, if you make your letter look like a bill, it might get opened. I still get some bills in the mail (not many). Problem is, once they open it, the letter has to be compelling and give them a reason to call you.

A personal story would help. You know like:

One day Lisa came into my office, her home insurance rate was unmanagable. It raised her monthly mortgage by over $100 a month. I was able to help her out and save her enough money on her home and auto insurance that she was able to afford to put Billy back into soccer practice, which he really loved.

You have to connect the dots.... Tough in insurance since you can't promise a premium or savings or much of anything. But, you can always tell a story.

Dan

Direct mail has changed a lot since the early 90's as well. What worked then may not work now.

You're right about that. Thanks, Dan.

I've already got a hundred of these puppies printed up, so I'm going to go ahead and mail them tomorrow and see what the response rate/ROI is. One single policy would pay for the whole campaign, so we'll just wait and see.

This business ain't always easy, just trying to differentiate myself from all the other guys in the Yellow Pages.

What are the Yellow Pages???

Oh wait.... isn't that what they call that book that my grandkids sit on when they are up at the table?

I like the reply from djs. You only have a short amount of time to get someone's attention and hold onto it.

If you do a direct and to the point approach, with a visual, you pretty much have their attention. The client or in this case prospect wants to know what's in it for them.

It's the old, " Find out what they want, then show them how you can provide it for them". You just gained a new client.

Back