Prospecting Apartment Leasing Agents

BrendanF

Expert
I am in independent broker write with over 30 companies. Work at an agency here in Utah. Yatta Yatta, just so you know where I am coming from/ who I write with.

My question is this, what is the best way or really any way to have my business cards/brochures in the front office of an apartment complex.

To help start my career in insurance I was thinking about getting some brochures about renters policies, and having my business card attached so this way when an individual rents an apartment the leasing agent will also had them my card and brochure. (Maybe Encompass, or MetLife brochures just because they are the fanciest.)

So, how do I approach it? Have you done this? What was your experience? Should I call and schedule an appointment with the leasing manager/property manager, or should I just show up?

Thanks in advance! It means a lot!

I have never done this, but have heard of other agents who have. A few years ago Allstate agents needed to have a certain number of renters policies on the books so many tried this.

Just show up at each complex to see if they have any interest or any other agents who might have already dropped items off. A few have had to bribe the staff with a referral bonus, (pizza party for lunch, etc) to get them on board to send them your way. If you can find a complex that requires tenants to carry renters insurance become their best friend.

You might have some success because many agents won't chase renters policies. But most renter drive cars (cross-sell) and some will become homeonwers soon.

I have never done this, but have heard of other agents who have. A few years ago Allstate agents needed to have a certain number of renters policies on the books so many tried this.

Just show up at each complex to see if they have any interest or any other agents who might have already dropped items off. A few have had to bribe the staff with a referral bonus, (pizza party for lunch, etc) to get them on board to send them your way. If you can find a complex that requires tenants to carry renters insurance become their best friend.

You might have some success because many agents won't chase renters policies. But most renter drive cars (cross-sell) and some will become homeonwers soon.

Thank you so much for the response! That is what I am hoping to do, the cross-sell to auto just to get my book going and get started.

Once again thanks for your input! :idea:

You have got to get in good with the leasing agents/owner in the apt complex.

Friend of mine just rented a new apartment. Complex requires renters insurance and with the paper work the leasing agent gives you it includes a name and number of the agent to call. They called the agent immediately to get it no questions asked.

My friend has 2 cars, RV and a rental home. Agent that sold him the renters insurance got it all. To top it off my friend is now using this agent to provide renters insurance to his renters and refers the agent in his leasing paper work. Plus, my friend is in the process of opening up a brick and mortar business, more business there etc.......

Find out what is important to the leasing agent/owner and meet their needs. Keep prospecting and eventually you will find someone who is having problems and needs help.

You have got to get in good with the leasing agents/owner in the apt complex.

Friend of mine just rented a new apartment. Complex requires renters insurance and with the paper work the leasing agent gives you it includes a name and number of the agent to call. They called the agent immediately to get it no questions asked.

My friend has 2 cars, RV and a rental home. Agent that sold him the renters insurance got it all. To top it off my friend is now using this agent to provide renters insurance to his renters and refers the agent in his leasing paper work. Plus, my friend is in the process of opening up a brick and mortar business, more business there etc.......

Find out what is important to the leasing agent/owner and meet their needs. Keep prospecting and eventually you will find someone who is having problems and needs help.

That is awesome to hear! That is my main goal from the work I would be putting into the Apartment/ Town Home Complex's is to cross sell them Auto's, Commercial ECT.

Thanks for your answer; your input is greatly appreciated and it will help me kind of work the kinks out of this. Once January comes around I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes! ;)

Yes, get to know the leasing agents. I use to prospect the high end apartments. Almost all had a 'move in ' packet that all tenants receive. If was full of brochures, coupons and area information. They were all receptive to include my brochure, but were equally as receptive to all the other agents calling on them as well.

I made it a point to call on the receptive units monthly. Bringing them something sweet was always a hit. After a few visits, you will get to know them personally and stand out. thus, more referrals. It was a building relationship, not a one time attempt. Also, if the units have common laundry area, most have info board; get permissions to leave a nice card holder to pin up with auto/renters offering.

Good Luck and Good Selling!

A couple years back I had a few good referral relations with a handful of apartment complexes. It's a super easy pitch we use. We call them up and ask them if they are having any customer appreciation events coming up in the near future, regardless of what they say, we tell them about our events we've done with other complexes, bbqs, pool party's, breakfasts, etc. We let them know that we would be glad to provide the cost for food and bring giveaways for the kids. The whole point of sponsoring the event is not to sell insurance on that day, but to spend time getting to know the leasing agents and property managers. If you can win them over and make them look good at the event, they will send you business. Preferably you are looking for larger apartment complexes. 800+ units if possible. With renters insurance being required. I had 3 complexes a few years ago and was getting 30 renters policies a month from those sources. We did incentive with a $10 visa gift card to the leasing agents. So I look at it as a $10 lead who is now a client, let them move in and get settled, and call them 45 days later to cross sell.

A couple years back I had a few good referral relations with a handful of apartment complexes. It's a super easy pitch we use. We call them up and ask them if they are having any customer appreciation events coming up in the near future, regardless of what they say, we tell them about our events we've done with other complexes, bbqs, pool party's, breakfasts, etc. We let them know that we would be glad to provide the cost for food and bring giveaways for the kids. The whole point of sponsoring the event is not to sell insurance on that day, but to spend time getting to know the leasing agents and property managers. If you can win them over and make them look good at the event, they will send you business. Preferably you are looking for larger apartment complexes. 800+ units if possible. With renters insurance being required. I had 3 complexes a few years ago and was getting 30 renters policies a month from those sources. We did incentive with a $10 visa gift card to the leasing agents. So I look at it as a $10 lead who is now a client, let them move in and get settled, and call them 45 days later to cross sell.

That's a great idea! I'm going to experiment this summer and I will be sure to let you guys know how it goes. I appreciate every bodies help. Big thanks to you and Insurance Forums!

Back