Question About Do Not Call Laws

RickBen

I've tried searching this forum for "do not call" but it thinks I mean "do (but not call)". Anyway, I'm sure this has been asked a million times.

What's the difference between state and national do not call laws? On the Indiana Attorney General's web site I read "The Indiana Telephone Privacy List prohibits all telemarketers from calling Indiana phone numbers on the list with the exception of licensed insurance agents, licensed real estate agents, charitable organizations and newspapers."

Right there in black and white it says "with the exception of licensed insurance agents".

So can I call or not?

I've tried searching this forum for "do not call" but it thinks I mean "do (but not call)". Anyway, I'm sure this has been asked a million times.

What's the difference between state and national do not call laws? On the Indiana Attorney General's web site I read "The Indiana Telephone Privacy List prohibits all telemarketers from calling Indiana phone numbers on the list with the exception of licensed insurance agents, licensed real estate agents, charitable organizations and newspapers."

Right there in black and white it says "with the exception of licensed insurance agents".

So can I call or not?

Indiana state do not call law exempts insurance agents but the federal do not call does not. If you are calling in Indiana and they are on the state do not call list but not on the federal you can call them. That is my understanding.

Indiana did not merge with the feds. You are correct that you can call people on the state list if you clearly identify yourself as an insurance agent within the first few seconds of the call. There may be a distance associated with this also like you must physically be within 50-miles of who you are calling but I'm going from memory.

Indiana enforces their DNC list and it is a money maker for them.

Indiana did not merge with the feds. You are correct that you can call people on the state list if you clearly identify yourself as an insurance agent within the first few seconds of the call. There may be a distance associated with this also like you must physically be within 50-miles of who you are calling but I'm going from memory.

Indiana enforces their DNC list and it is a money maker for them.

I know about the rest, but I had not heard about the 50 mile rule. I'll see what I can find out, but meanwhile, if anyone can confirm or debunk please let us know.

Why risk it? Why not stay compliant with the federal rules? Chances are, there are still more people than you can call in a year.

The way the rule is written, it sounds like you can't have an unlicensed person call on behalf of a licensed person, i.e., you can't hire a telemarketer to make these calls. This means you have to do it. Now you have to ask if that is the best use of your time.

Dan

From what I can tell the 50 mile thing was a California thing. Here is what I found on Indiana:

There are four types of telephone solicitors who are exempt from this law (Indiana) and may continue to contact you. These include charitable organizations (whose telephone calls are made by volunteers or employees to make the calls), newspapers (whose employees make their telephone calls), licensed insurance agents and licensed real estate agents.

The way the rule is written, it sounds like you can't have an unlicensed person call on behalf of a licensed person, i.e., you can't hire a telemarketer to make these calls. This means you have to do it. Now you have to ask if that is the best use of your time.

Dan

Well, I've run a predictive dialer a few times for about 45 minutes in the background while I work on administrative things; it's called multi-tasking and no, it's not a waste of time.

BTW...yes, I have gotten some great leads that way.

So can I call or not?

You're exempt from the Indiana Do Not Call List because you're a licensed insurance agent. However, you must still comply with the National Do Not Call List. So you need to subscribe to that list and check it at least once a month so you don't call any numbers on the National Do Not Call List.

Back