Question Regarding ENROLLERS for Group Ooen Enrollment

I have open enrollment for welfare benefits.

Background:
3 shift (cover 6am to 12am) need 10-15 enrollers total covering multiple shifts to give rest

Durations 4-5 days

Lives: 800

Products: same as last year for health, dental, vision, life, DI

New priducts: VB accident, indem etc.

We will be using electronic enrollment for the first time.

My question is, approx what is the cost to hire enrollers and can anyone provide advise?

Thanks ahead

Yep, in lieu of commissions. Not my cup of tea either, but some people just want a job.

Thats just crazy.... maybe if I was selling pet insurance.... but no way in hell am I selling real insurance and not taking commissions on it! lol

----------

My question is, approx what is the cost to hire enrollers and can anyone provide advise?

What incentive will they have to produce if they are paid a flat fee? Speaking as someone who has done large group enrollments before, there can be a huge difference in production between a motivated and a non motivated group enroller.

This is a glorified CSR position. They're literally taking orders. For folks normally making $10-$15/hour, this is a great deal.

For a licensed insurance agent its not.

I have participated in very large enrollments before, 3k+ employees type of deals. For voluntary products it is not a CSR position at all..... its a sales position plain and simple. It takes sales skill.

I will give you an example:
Our largest reoccurring group enrollment is 4k employees. We had a team of about 20 enrollers sitting in the same room which every single employee had to go into at some point during the enrollment period. When we looked at the stats per agent, we noticed that there was about 6 or 7 agents who had significantly lower sales than the rest. Sitting in the same room, with the same random flow of prospects. At the end of 3 weeks the numbers did not change, those agents performed at about 60% of what the others did.

When we watched these agents in action you could tell why, they just sucked at sales. Sure they made money because you get a certain amount of freebies in an environment like that. But they could have almost doubled their production had they been on par with the rest of the group. Needless to say the 2nd year those agents were not invited back to help enroll.

Anyone who thinks that group enrollments take no sales skill has never made a living off of group enrollments. Thats speaking as someone who started my career with group enrollments, and still does some group enrollments now.

Will the OP make money with CSR type mindset people? Of course. But they could double their production with real agents who know how to sell.

btw, I know a few group enrollers who travel the southeast doing just enrollments... and they pull in over $100k per year...

Last edited:
For a licensed insurance agent its not. I have participated in very large enrollments before, 3k+ employees type of deals. For voluntary products it is not a CSR position at all..... its a sales position plain and simple. It takes sales skill. I will give you an example: Our largest reoccurring group enrollment is 4k employees. We had a team of about 20 enrollers sitting in the same room which every single employee had to go into at some point during the enrollment period. When we looked at the stats per agent, we noticed that there was about 6 or 7 agents who had significantly lower sales than the rest. Sitting in the same room, with the same random flow of prospects. At the end of 3 weeks the numbers did not change, those agents performed at about 60% of what the others did. When we watched these agents in action you could tell why, they just sucked at sales. Sure they made money because you get a certain amount of freebies in an environment like that. But they could have almost doubled their production had they been on par with the rest of the group. Needless to say the 2nd year those agents were not invited back to help enroll. Anyone who thinks that group enrollments take no sales skill has never made a living off of group enrollments. Thats speaking as someone who started my career with group enrollments, and still does some group enrollments now. Will the OP make money with CSR type mindset people? Of course. But they could double their production with real agents who know how to sell. btw, I know a few group enrollers who travel the southeast doing just enrollments... and they pull in over $100k per year...

So, what do you pay, or what are you suggesting should be paid?

So, what do you pay, or what are you suggesting should be paid?

It depends on the product and the carrier. Just like any other insurance product.

For Voluntary Group Life I usually pay enrollers 10%-30% FYC + Renewals. And that is on Guaranteed Issue products (WL/Term/TermROP)

For other products it varies.

What I would suggest to the OP is that they evaluate their comp per product and figure out a fair % to cut the agents. They need to find a % that makes the agents want to work hard and make sales. But obviously it still needs to keep the OP profitable and make it worth their time/effort. The only person that can answer those questions is the OP since they are the one who knows what the comp levels are for the chosen products.

Last edited:
$200 A day plus expenses is the going rate.

This is about right - but it depends on who you're enrolling for. I did some enrollment work when I first started as an agent & it helped me pay the mortgage while I built my business. So, I wasn't paid commissions or renewals, but it saved me during a time when money was very tight & I had to find short term "fill in" work to pay for my life.

As to whether or not it is a good deal for an agent or not, depends on the agent and what they want out of the job. For me, it was a mechanism to stay afloat while building my business - it also got me acquainted with a product set that I don't carry and allowed me to interact with other more experienced people who helped me along the way.

Back