Questions on LLC

NWSINS

Expert
MN
I have set up an single member LLC and I am trying to assign all my commissions to the LLC. IRS guidelines state that a single member LLC must use their personal social security number for W9 tax payer information. Some insurance company's refuse to assign commission to the LLC and use my social security number for the W9 tax payer. For those of you single member LLC's, what are you doing to make this process easier? I am missing something?

I want the commissions payable to the LLC. Some insurance company's want the payee and the bank deposit account to be the same person or entity.

I don't want commissions deposited into my personal checking account and the response it get from the insurance company's is anti money laundering laws prevent them from depositing the money into a corporate account when he 1099 will be issued to an individual person.

I don't want commissions deposited into my personal checking account and the response it get from the insurance company's is anti money laundering laws prevent them from depositing the money into a corporate account when he 1099 will be issued to an individual person.

I think you have it wrong. The 1099 must be in the name of the LLC and the commission in the name of the LLC that the reason your doing that. Not to your name. you must open an account in the LLC name and the check form the Insurance company will be paid in the LLC name. Not sure what is the confusion.:swoon::goofy:

Taken form IRS website:

Taxpayer Identification Number

For federal income tax purposes, a single-member LLC classified as a disregarded entity generally must use the owner's social security number (SSN) or EIN for all information returns and reporting related to income tax. For example, if a disregarded entity LLC that is owned by an individual is required to provide a Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, the W-9 should provide the owner’s SSN or EIN, not the LLC’s EIN.
A single-member LLC that is a disregarded entity that does not have employees and does not have an excise tax liability does not need an EIN. It should use the name and TIN of the single member owner for federal tax purposes.

However, if a single-member LLC, whose taxable income and loss will be reported by the single member owner, nevertheless needs an EIN to open a bank account or if state tax law requires the single-member LLC to have a federal EIN, then the LLC can apply for and obtain an EIN.

The 1099 would not go to an individual; it would go to the company, same as the commissions. Your company would pay you.

What I did was get my new LLC licensed as an agency. Then have commissions assigned to the agency. Then by getting my wife licensed (she's a partner in the LLC), renewals would continue to pay at my death. Apparently this course is especially important with MA renewals. Too early yet to tell if that was good advice.

Back