Quick Question

TC004

Expert
Hey guys. Had a friend in the community with a different carrier than I offer ask me a question I couldn't answer. They said they just bought a dog on their insurances "forbidden" list and wanted to know what would happen if the insurance found out they had that breed in their home. I am just trying to give them some guidance. Thanks!

Hey guys. Had a friend in the community with a different carrier than I offer ask me a question I couldn't answer. They said they just bought a dog on their insurances "forbidden" list and wanted to know what would happen if the insurance found out they had that breed in their home. I am just trying to give them some guidance. Thanks!

Why do you think the carrier has a "forbidden" dog list?:err:

That is not unusual in my experience...i know of some companies that don't want to insure homes with dogs of certain breeds present. That's a good question, if they didn't have the dog when they signed the app it's not a material misrepresentation...but at best i would assume they would be nonrenewed...but that's conjecture on my part. Never had that actually happen.

They said that they were made aware of the forbidden dog list at the time of signing up, but forgot over time and purchased a Rotweiler. I'm not insuring them, couldn't beat their price. Was just trying to get educated answers on here.

They said that they were made aware of the forbidden dog list at the time of signing up, but forgot over time and purchased a Rotweiler. I'm not insuring them, couldn't beat their price. Was just trying to get educated answers on here.

Probably spelled out in his policy.

You are quoting against something he may not have. His policy forbade the dog. That is like quoting preferred Life rates to diabetic.

All carriers have different rules. "Experience rating" and some horrific losses has caused some dogs to be suspect. (They also don't like trampolines.) Some would cancel but some will keep you insured and deny any dog related claim. Look at your application from your company to see if you might add dog bite liability. The big captive companies: State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual & Nationwide don't give an inch on certain dog breeds. An Independent agency that provides coverage from different companies may be your best bet. They may just exclude dog liability or surcharge and they're all subjective. However, failing to advise your company is not advisable since it is a question on the application. Talk with your agent.

:idea:

Last edited:

I may not be in P&C any more but... the world seems to have fallen roughly into two camps. Those with a banned breed list (use you intuition there) and those who will cover a dog to first bite claim.

It varies on the carrier and state. Most of the time in the states I write, if they get a dog off the "bad" list after purchasing the policy, and the app did not have a waiver initialed, the carriers has to cover it. Also, in one of the states I write, if the policy has been in effect for over 2 year, it cannot be cancelled.

I'm sure there is quite a few folks that have a homeowners policy that got a forbidden dog years after the fact and don't even know it against policy. The question is would the carrier pay for a dog bite after the fact?

Back