Quoting Client then They Go Direct

BrentinAZ

I have a question for all the independent agents out there. My agency loses a few policies per week after we provide a quote and they decide to purchase direct with the same company. What tips have you used to make sure they buy from us? We try not to mention the carrier until we are ready to take payment. Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks,

You must not be creating a value proposition. A few will always bypass you. That's the nature of the business. But if you create value that comes with buying from you then you won't lose as many.

One line I use is . . .

You can definitely buy the same plan at the same price direct from the carrier. There is no markup for my advice.

When you call me you get me or my voice mail. You will never hear "Press 1 for English". When you call the carrier you will never talk to a live person. You always go to voice mail. And you can be they will call back when you are in the shower.

The person who calls you back may be new to the job or a veteran who has worked there 6 weeks. You get pot luck.

My experience is available to my clients at no additional charge. I always call back the same business day or the next. Emails are usually returned same day and I respond to email 7 days a week.

I don't close them all. Still get a few that try to get all my secrets and then buy direct. I even give everyone that asks a report showing all carriers and rates based on the product they want.

No one else does that.

If they want to buy direct I give them the road map but I won't let them waste my time. Tire kickers get 5 minutes and then they are gone.

I have a question for all the independent agents out there. My agency loses a few policies per week after we provide a quote and they decide to purchase direct with the same company. What tips have you used to make sure they buy from us? We try not to mention the carrier until we are ready to take payment. Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks,

My standard line is: "Of course you can buy directly from the company. But I am WAY more fun to work with. Besides, do you want to talk to me or some random, faceless person via an 800 number that will have a new job in 6 months if you have a problem?"

This sounds pretty b****y typed. But I say it very flirty and sweet. ;)

Thanks,

Could be they're leaving because you fail to mention the company till the end. That would piss me off personally.

There are always those who will do this kind of stuff. Usually you figure that out pretty quickly and limit your work for that person. Usually within the first 15 minutes you can figure that out. There are people like this, just move on and keep going. Work towards the next sale with somebody else rather than dwell on what didn't happen.

Back