Referral Fee Question

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
I've been having a conversation with another agent as to the legality of what he is calling a referral fee paid to a client only if the referral generates a sale.

He is telling the cllient in wriiting that he will pay a referral fee of $25 if the person that is referred buys a policy.

I believe this is illegal as it becomes a commission. A thank you gift for the referral itself is okay but I don't think you can make this contingent upon a sale and certainly can't tell them in advance.

He says that of course it's legal. It's done all the time.

Per his email to me:

[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Agents have been doing this for as long as I can remember.[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial","sans-serif"]Many insurance companies even have something that you can givepeople for referrals.[/FONT]

Any comments?

Rick

It's as easy at this - you can pay anything to anyone as long as it's not contingent on the sale. If you want to pay $500 per lead, go have at it. But you have to pay for leads and referrals regardless of whether or not they become a client.

That "people have be doing otherwise..." Ok...I guess. People have been robbing banks for years also.

I thought it was allowed to give a "gift" for a referral on certain business such as life & annuities, but it can't be based on a sale. So if the agent got 10 referrals, he'd have to pay out $250 no matter how many sales he made. Correct?

He is going to continue to believe this is all fine unless and until caught. A simple answer would be to forward the question to the DOI and show him thier response....

He is going to continue to believe this is all fine unless and until caught. A simple answer would be to forward the question to the DOI and show him thier response....

I already know what not to do. It's up to him to either believe us or not. Let him contact the DOI himself.

Rick

Wouldnt this vary by state?

In MY state, I can only give a client up to $10 for a policy written on them, Otherwise it is called REBATING, but I can give a referral anything....

I have heard some agents give realtors a trip to Hawaii for 20 referrals, I have to think THAT is illegal, but whatever.....I dont need to bribe the people I work with, I send them gift cards once in a while and take them to lunch....

simple answer.... if it is a grey area why be put in a position to defend yourself in court or with DOI. Attys cost moola just tell client due to ambiguity of law on the subject i can give you a heartfelt thank you and thats it

i follow the same practice with other agents. if you give me a referral or i kick biz to you... you aint gettin nuttin and i aint wanting nuttin

From what I gather it can be paid based on an application, but not sale.

In Utah (according to the DOI) it has to be a referral fee that is the same amount every time for every referral, and not dependent on a sale, or even an application.

Back