Responsibilities and Duties of a Producer/Sales Vs Acct Mgr

Rick Deckard

Guru
100+ Post Club
As I start my training I am given a list of what I typically am responsible for vs the Acct Manager. From the brief training I have experienced, most of the Acct Managers seem to dislike the producers or the idea that they might have to do something outside of their duties list...as you can imagine this doesn't fit in very well with my team concept. So before I allow myself to get agitated, I thought it best to find out what an actual producer in the 2-20 World has to do in order to make money.

-Fill out a completed application, signed and then enter it into the computer system in house, different agencies will use different software.

-Typically after entering the info/app the Producer will also run the quotes which seem to involve at least the amount of work that went into entering the basic application. Then once you get back a few quotes, the ones you want seem to require the next step of going directly on to their website and entering more information to get an ACCURATE quote.

-Bind it, sell it, whatever that next step is here. Take the money or accept payment and then give all of that to the Acct Mgr who then takes it from there.

I guess if I can do all that I just listed, not sure where the processor or Acct mgr comes into play. I get they put out a lot of fires with the underwriters but I also see a lot of inefficiency. If I have to process every file or app I grab(Not to mention Commercial is much more involved) then I am going to be limited by my speed on the computer and knowledge of all the guidelines for each Carrier, who can know all that?

And feedback from those who have traveled these waters greatly appreciated. I guess self reliance is the best mindset here?

You should probably ask your boss. However, I would expect a producer to handle everything relating to new business, including rating, filling apps, etc. Etc.
An account manager should ideally be handling service requests, endorsements, COIs, etc.

You should probably ask your boss. However, I would expect a producer to handle everything relating to new business, including rating, filling apps, etc. Etc.
An account manager should ideally be handling service requests, endorsements, COIs, etc.

I'd have to agree here. General concept seems to be you get paid by newbiz comms, support/service team gets paid by renewal comms. The work you do should be pursuant to that

In one of the offices I worked in a while ago, the Producer title meant 100% outbound sales and service on those new policies for the first 30-90 days or so. Account Manager worked with existing clients and were paid on an upselling they were able to do. They were also responsible for service work once policies were in place.

Back