Sales, the Lies and the Truth

G

Disclaimer: This reality check is not for the faint of heart.

The Lie:
Clients are wasting my time.

The Truth: You’re wasting their time. If you’re winging it, and don’t take the time to figure out the “why” and turn it into a “buy” then you’re wasting the client’s time by not determining, qualifying and satisfying that “why.”

The Lie: People aren’t interested.

The Truth:
People aren’t interested in buying from you.

Let me get this straight, people are going on the internet just for fun and putting the correct contact information online for insurance quotes and then not hanging up on you when they find out who you are and what you do? Yeah sure, I guess they’re all just bored. (This “not interested” theory makes even less sense you cold called and made an appointment)

The Lie:
Some people are just shopping.

The Truth: This isn’t wandering around Wal-Mart. When it comes to insurance, people will “shop around” because either you didn’t satisfy their wants or needs, you didn't beat the competition, or you didn’t educate them that prices are set by the carriers and non negotiable. Or maybe they just don’t trust you enough to buy or they may not feel comfortable enough to tell you the truth about why they aren’t buying. Funny, none of this is actually the client’s fault.

Here’s the point.

When you realize that most of the sales you don’t get are your fault not the client’s fault, it allows you to review, correct, learn, adapt, adjust and grow as a salesperson and then align yourself to succeed more in the future.

Let me add this interesting story.

I managed an agency and I took a bunch of thirty day old leads and told a few people that we were trying a brand new lead source that another agency tried out and had successfully closed 25% of them. Of course, they were gung ho, left a trail of smoke and hit the phones. Can you guess what happened? They wrote between 22% and 28% of these great new OLD LEADS!!!

Remember . . . perception is reality.

If you think they won’t buy, unfortunately you’re correct and your sales will reflect that belief system.

PS: I know you can’t write everyone and some sales just don’t happen but you really have to figure out what your projecting or expecting on a sales call. Maybe you’re assuming the sale away.

Latest posts

Back