She Stumped the Chump

I just got a call.

The woman is looking for life insurance on a service dog. Which makes sense as they can be very expensive with all the training and such.

I was thinking pet insurance would cover this but according to her it does not. Does this fall under P @ C?

I'll assume the service dog is a non smoker

I just got a call.

The woman is looking for life insurance on a service dog. Which makes sense as they can be very expensive with all the training and such.

I was thinking pet insurance would cover this but according to her it does not. Does this fall under P @ C?

I'll assume the service dog is a non smoker

Yes, P&C (Pup&Cat)

Pretty sure Nationwide and State Farm offer pet insurance. Not sure the extent of it though.

OK...I deserved that.

But it is a serious question and I am really curious to know if there is an answer.

I would guess that the service dog would be covered by P&C. Maybe by a rider or specialty policy. Just a guess. I have aqaintace whose daughter trains personal protection Mastiffs. I will ask her.

I am around a lot of people that service dogs. Post back what you find out.

Last edited:
This would fall under some type of "Property Insurance". Legally, a pet is property. Replacing their life is legally replacing a piece of property. Ask the guys in the P&C section of the forum. If all else fails, talk to Lloyds.

Since the dog would be housed at home, I'd guess you could probably do some type of Rider or add-on to a Home Owners Policy.

Try mortality insurance. Generally what it is called when on a horse. I'm sure someone has a program for service animals.

Try reaching out to APIC (American Pet Insurance Company). Though it is unlikely they have a program, I'd bet they could help steer you in the right direction.

I know that some county governments I have worked with in the past have covered their K9 animals for life insurance. Not sure what type of policy it was. Mainly wanted to chime in and let you know it was possible. Assuming it was through their P&C agent who handled all of that.

Interesting thing was that the amount of life insurance on the K9 was more than employees had.

Back