Should I Resign in Person?

Aiapa

I am resigning from my current producer position to start my own insurance agency. The person I work for is s nice enough guy and a shrewd businessman...that's what I like about him. But he's also a controlling person that doesn't trust anyone. And since bringing his son into Agency recently he has lost all concern for anyone else's future there. He has no interest in sharing any equity. And obviously, that is his right.
So, that's where I am. Do I resign in person or just leave a letter on his desk for him to find?
Thank you for your anticipated responses.

I am resigning from my current producer position to start my own insurance agency. The person I work for is s nice enough guy and a shrewd businessman...that's what I like about him. But he's also a controlling person that doesn't trust anyone. And since bringing his son into Agency recently he has lost all concern for anyone else's future there. He has no interest in sharing any equity. And obviously, that is his right.
So, that's where I am. Do I resign in person or just leave a letter on his desk for him to find?
Thank you for your anticipated responses.

Look him in the eye, shake his hand and tell him thanks for the opportunity. Why burn a bridge?

send a text message,

Joking I seen someone do that at a place I worked a while back,

Honestly, I am in agreement with KOC Agent, always leave on a good note whenever possible.

I agree with your responses.
One other quick inquiry:
I have never signed any non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure agreements. Not any contract when I first started.
I will not sign anything if he puts anything in front of me when I resign. Thoughts?

I agree with your responses.
One other quick inquiry:
I have never signed any non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure agreements. Not any contract when I first started.
I will not sign anything if he puts anything in front of me when I resign. Thoughts?

that would be like asking a spouse for prenup when asking for divorce

Resign in person. Keep it professional. You may need a reference in the future. Have proper expectations going into it, understand that he may not me happy, and just let that go. If he get controlling/manipulative and tries to talk you into staying, just say "Thank you for sharing your feelings" and then leave.

I agree with the others. In person is best, hopefully he will respect your decision.

Back