Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to Smart choice is a dumb choice     
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Expert
Warrior on Smart choice is a dumb choice

State: Warrior is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Smart choice is a dumb choice Smart choice agents is the wrong choice for agents
I had an experience with Smart Choice.
They created a situation where I had to cancel the contract. They took money out of a client's account that the client didn't agree to. Then it took them 4 weeks to refund the money. It wasn't small amounts either. It was $1000. They have taken over 3 weeks to get final numbers and transpose the final numbers so the client thinks the numbers are lower until the bank draft hits them with the real amount.

There is nothing this agent can do because Smart Choice has their own people who make the transactions. They will not give agents direct access to insurance companies, rather they have their own reps take your quote detail and run the numbers for you. It takes them over 3 days to get back to you if you have questions and they refuse to add the things on the policies that is needed and the client requests. Smart Choice reps have continually transposed numbers so that insurance carriers wont write the policy. All they say is they are sorry, but when I express that I no longer trust them and want out of my contract and be released from their non compete, they refuse.

You get what you pay for. Now Smart Choice will not take the blame for what they did and refuse to let me out of the contract null and void which means I have a 2 year non compete. I cannot get appointed with another aggregator for 2 years. Even though they committed a crime and did not live up to their end of the contract.

My advice, never go to Smart Choice unless you want to use your E&O Insurance with the clients that will sue you over taking too much money out of their bank account.

Smart Choice Agents is the WRONG CHOICE!!
------------------------------------

Last edited by Warrior; 04-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote to Smart choice is a dumb choice
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

State: HULK is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Smart choice is a dumb choice Re: Smart choice is a dumb choice
You should sue them. Breach of contract by Smart Choice, not you.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Guru

State: 1manshow is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
1manshow is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Do you really think they're going to try to enforce a non compete? I'm guessing a very small book?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Expert
Warrior on Smart choice is a dumb choice

State: Warrior is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Smart choice is a dumb choice Re: Smart choice is a dumb choice Warrior is the thread starter for: Smart choice is a dumb choice

Originally Posted by 1manshow View Post
Do you really think they're going to try to enforce a non compete? I'm guessing a very small book?
They told me they will sue me. I have a medium sized book.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Guru
VolAgent on Smart choice is a dumb choice

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Hate to say it, but it sounds like you got what you paid for.

Although, I would think exposing you to an E&O claim would constitute breach of contract. Obviously the client would have to file a claim against your E&O first.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Guru

State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Sounds like it might be smart to consult an attorney.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
Guru

State: indienoise is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
How in detail have you read the contract? Can it be terminated for cause by either party? Does the non compete apply no matter the reason for termination?
I mean, I'm not surprised, I specifically avoided them because everything about them just kind of screamed bottom of the barrel. Hire an attorney. I wish you luck.
Reply to Smart choice is a dumb choice 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions