Smart Choice

I am a Smart Choice member and have been for a little over a year. It is great if you are just starting and need the company appointments. I do however tend to write more with my other carriers that pay a higher commission if the price is the same. I don't like giving up 30% of my commission to someone else.

Not really as I have two great carriers with Smart Choice, Safeco and Mercury. Most of my business is standard and my other main carrier that is a direct appointment is usually the same price or lower than the two. I have 3-4 families per month that prefer to choose Safeco for their name or either their home premium is much lower with them. But when I have a carrier paying 18% commission vs. the 10.5% Smart Choice commission it makes me want to be more loyal to the higher of the two if the customer premium is the same.

Is that 10.5% a standard Smart Choice commission rate or are there other variables involved? I've been very curious about Smart Choice for the future, but in that sense it seems no different than a captive agency.

Back