So Confused Looking for Advice

Sarahmama

Thank you for all of the advice! Removing the original post since under advice of another agent.

Last edited:
Wow, what did the agent say when you called?

Do you still have a copy of the cancellation form?

You have quite the mess on your hands and unfortunately it is not of your creation. I would definitely start with the agent/agency and demand they fix their mess. I would also document everything. Your next step would be the company directly.

The agent admitted that his staff member screwed up and cancelled the wrong policy and didn't cancel the other policy. I called the company and they said today he faxed the cancellation form we signed last August. It was dated last August, but they saw it for the first time today. They told us it's his fault and nothing they can do. He said he can't change the mistake. The company won't even write a new policy because they said we cancelled the old one. I feel like it's not fair that we have to just deal with the fallout when they screwed this up. I have copies of the document we signed that have the auto policy number on it. The mortgage company never received a cancellation notice from the insurance company and neither did we...we had no idea our house was not insured.

I'm surprised the company won't reinstate the policy once they saw the signed cancellation form. Did he alter it to show the home policy number?

Taking everything at face value, you did not cancel the policy, he did without your permission. This is a huge liability risk for the agent. You may want to contact your state department of insurance. An attorney may be able to help, although since there was no loss and no damages, you will probably have to pay versus having the attorney take it on contingency.

I'm not sure...I don't know what he might have done. Everyone seems to be afraid to talk to us about this at all. I asked him if this had ever happened before and how he fixed it and he won't give me an answer. I have Googled and researched and I can't find any stories of this happening to anyone else. The insurance company said the home owner's policy was cancelled the same day that the forms to cancel the auto policies were signed...but the home policy was cancelled through an agent Web portal and the auto forms were never sent to the insurance company until today which is why it was never cancelled. It's a huge mess.

I'm surprised the company won't reinstate the policy once they saw the signed cancellation form. Did he alter it to show the home policy number?

Taking everything at face value, you did not cancel the policy, he did without your permission. This is a huge liability risk for the agent. You may want to contact your state department of insurance. An attorney may be able to help, although since there was no loss and no damages, you will probably have to pay versus having the attorney take it on contingency.

Yeah, the reason he doesn't want to talk anymore is he is afraid of getting sued or sanctioned by the carrier and/or department of insurance. Which is why I'm also surprised the carrier won't reinstate it.

Did you receive a refund for the unearned premium? While this can vary from company to company and does depend on state laws, typically the unearned premium is refunded when cancelled mid-term. If you cashed the check, they may be interpreting that as your acknowledgement of the policy being canceled.

This is one of those situations you thank god there wasn't a claim and just want to make it go away.

At this point, my answer is going to keep coming back to, contact the DOI and/or an attorney, assuming you called the insurance company yourself. If you are just hearing from them through him, then it may be time to call.

I second Vols advice. This is something for your state department of insurance to help you with. When you file a complaint the OIC contacts the parties named (agent, insurance company) and asks for their version of what happened.

This usually gets things done very quickly as the OIC has the power to levy fines or suspend licenses against both very quickly.

The only question for you might be did you ever notice you weren't getting billed? Are you willing to catch up your homeowners? Have you offered to? Has there been a claim?

Please contact your OIC and file a complaint. They most likely will offer to reinstate you as it is the easiest thing for them to do. They don't have to like you to insure you and you don't have to like them. It just should be a transaction to get you back to normal or as close to it as possible.

But don't wait. contact your OIC and file a complaint.

Back