Software Recommendations

If you are a stand alone ACT user on one computer, the best version of ACT has always been ACT! 6.0 (sometimes called 2004) you can probably buy it on e-bay for around $10. It is the best database program ever.

Starting in 2005 they totally rewrote ACT to make it better for companies with many users and for easier use over the web. If you don't get the 2004 version you should go all the way to ACT 2007. Expect to pay around $200 for ACT 2007.

Activator is around $1,400 and is a great program but it's not as ready to go out of the box as their ads make it sound. Be prepared to write your own marketing letters (but you probably already have some you already use.)

I do have the insurance version of Activator but it is just a starting point. Don't expect it to be ready to go right out of the box. They do have Activator consultants that will make your version ready to go all customized for you. They charge around $10,000. But they don't do anything you can't do yourself with basic skills.

If you go with the 2004 version of ACT, I recommend the program called ACTION for ACT over Activator. It is only $199 and it has some features I like better than Activator.

No matter what you do, you will have to modify your database layout the way you want it. Neither program does that for you.

The perfect program would actually be Frank's "My Own Insurance Office" with Activator added to it (A simple will thought out database designed for the insurance agent along with a robust easily modifiable automation program). I don't think it would be hard for Frank's programmers to do. He's just not convinced he needs to.

Newby, where can I find information on ACTION for Act?

Newby, where can I find information on ACTION for Act?

They MAY have gone belly-up. The company was called Simple Sophistication and they were from around the Chicago area. I see that their web site is gone now. It's too bad because they had a GREAT product at a reasonable price.

Here is another option at $199 http://www.crmaddons.com/p-36-sales-automation-manager.aspx I haven't personally used it so I don't know if it is good or not.

Newby, thanks for the follow up. I did look at this per your earlier recommendation, but it appears it is NOT compatible with ACT 2004, which you say is the best version ever. I see on Ebay today there are several sellers offering ACT 2007 for around $100. Does this version have all the features of 2004? It should siince it is a later version, right?

I use ACT! 6.0 with an addon called Act4Advisors. This turns ACT into a very insurance and investment friendly animal. I love it. I have everything I need including the clients file is attatched to their record. Search google for Act4Advisors.

Wow has that only been 10-years? I remember those phone discussions Frank and I had and it seems like a lot longer ago than 10-years.

Wow has that only been 10-years? I remember those phone discussions Frank and I had and it seems like a lot longer ago than 10-years.

So Newby....10yrs later, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

And yes, time sure flies for us all. Seems to go by faster each year.

Back