Splitting Commission

emoniquej

When you do an event with another agent that didn't know about the event and you invite them to help,do you split commission on the leads you give them and if so what is a fair commission? Also it didn't cost me to do the event.

I would say you best hammer that out in writing before the event. I speak from sad experience.

That is especially true if you don't have 50/50 in mind.

I started to answer and then re-read the initial post.

What exactly is going on here? You are doing an event that you didn't pay for and anticipate more leads than you can handle being generated, so you want to invite a second agent along?

A question that springs to mind is, who is paying for this, and are the leads yours to share? I would think the sponsor has a say in what happens to the leads.

The situation is that I don't think it is fair to get any commission if you invited that person, it didn't cost you anything and they worked to help get the leads at the event. Now if it is standard to give some type of standard then I understand. I am new and someone actually invited me to an event last Thursday and said that they would give me half the leads. It was free for them. It is now Tuesday and they texted me saying they have to check to see what is standard commission splitting. Since I have been in the business, I have done 2 events with other agents. One event, the agency paid for catering and wanted to give their contact a marketing fee, so splitting commission was understandable. Another event an agent wanted help at a free event and he split the leads with me. So, now I am confused as of whether the person I am dealing with is being fair to want a split if I helped to obtain the leads.

Clearly you don't want to split commissions here...

I am reminded of two expressions right now, the first from a mentor:

1. Pigs get feed, hogs get slaughtered.
2. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Ask yourself this question, do you like the leads and would you like to do another event with this agent?

If so, the answer should be clear.

That dude is calling the leads as we speak and might give you al the crappy ones that don't pan out. That night you should have walked with half the stack.

The situation is that I don't think it is fair to get any commission if you invited that person, it didn't cost you anything and they worked to help get the leads at the event. Now if it is standard to give some type of standard then I understand. I am new and someone actually invited me to an event last Thursday and said that they would give me half the leads. It was free for them. It is now Tuesday and they texted me saying they have to check to see what is standard commission splitting. Since I have been in the business, I have done 2 events with other agents. One event, the agency paid for catering and wanted to give their contact a marketing fee, so splitting commission was understandable. Another event an agent wanted help at a free event and he split the leads with me. So, now I am confused as of whether the person I am dealing with is being fair to want a split if I helped to obtain the leads.

You wouldn't have had the leads if not for him. Just ask him what he thinks is fair. Personally I would expect 50/50 and be ecstatic if you got 75%. That being said, if you don't feel it's worth your time, just tell him to keep the leads this time.

IMHO, take the split and work the leads unless you're booked so solid that you don't need the money.

You wouldn't have had the leads if not for him. Just ask him what he thinks is fair. Personally I would expect 50/50 and be ecstatic if you got 75%. That being said, if you don't feel it's worth your time, just tell him to keep the leads this time.

IMHO, take the split and work the leads unless you're booked so solid that you don't need the money.

Splitting is not a problem. The problem is that I worked to help them get the leads. It was plenty of times I was at the table alone. Also I still don't have the leads yet so I can be given anything. I talked to some good prospects but I may not be given their information. If I get the leads, I will take the split because it is something. I know better now. I refuse to be used, because if that was the case she could have done the event alone and if she wanted to share the leads then I think splitting the commission would have been fair.

The cost of the event is irrelevant... unless you are splitting that cost as well.

If the cost was split 50/50... then so should all leads immediately after the event.

If the event was split 75/25... then the leads should also be split 75/25.

Since the event had no cost... then the fair way to go would be 50/50... unless agreed differently prior to the event.

The other way to do it... is to work all the leads jointly and split the commissions on each case, instead of splitting up the leads.

Splitting is not a problem. The problem is that I worked to help them get the leads. It was plenty of times I was at the table alone. Also I still don't have the leads yet so I can be given anything. I talked to some good prospects but I may not be given their information. If I get the leads, I will take the split because it is something. I know better now. I refuse to be used, because if that was the case she could have done the event alone and if she wanted to share the leads then I think splitting the commission would have been fair.

See Charpress's first response. You went in without a clear understanding and now you are unhappy. Call it a learning experience and do what you can to salvage the situation.

If you had known up front what if any split was expected, then you would have been able to make an informed decision as to whether or not to participate.

Latest posts

Back