Staff Cell Phone Use

warnerins

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am thinking of banning the use of cell phones (for my staff) in the office. Way too many personal phone calls and out of control texting.

Wanted to find out how the members of the forum have dealt with this - and reaction of your staff.

Thanks Tim

I made a no-cell phone without prior approval for emergency policy, singled out one guy and fired him in front of everyone when he violated it.

However, that was on a manufacturing floor, not an insurance office.

Frankly, I'd ignore it in an insurance setting, unless their production was bad. If their production was bad, then it would be a problem.

Evidently, you feel that you have a problem. Have you tried calling the staff together, expressing your concerns, and threatening to limit personal cell phone usage if the problem is not corrected. This would be my initial approach. If it doesn't work then you will have to implement some definite rules.

When one person is disciplined everyone else falls in line. Have an employee meeting and pass out clear guidelines - have everyone sign it.

If someone violates it, write them up with a warning. After that the issue should be solved.

I definitely wouldn't forbid them from using their cell phones in the office. Happy employees are productive employees and nobody likes being treated like a 5th grader, especially coming from the boss. Their production should speak for itself.

Have a group meeting to address your concerns that non-business related distractions during office hours are having an impact on production. Tell them that you understand that they have lives/wives/kids/other stuff out there, but urge them to use careful discretion when deciding which phone calls can't wait until 5:00.

You will have addressed the group equally and they have all been warned. If someone continues excessively, then single them out and lay down the bottom line.

Agreed. If the employees show up every day with rules so strict that it no longer becomes fun you'll see their performance and attitude go downhill.

That said, there's a line. You can't have someone working for you who's incessantly texting or calling.

Put it in your employee handbook and post a sign on the back of every entry door "CELL PHONE USE PROHIBITED".

Any violators get written up, and then terminated.

Have fun!

Back