Starting Indy Agency

I've got a question for some of you guys that have started your own Independent office...

I called several carriers and before you can be appointed with them they require you to be in business for several years.

What companies can you get appointed through from the start?

Interested in personal and commercial lines P&C and life.

Thanks.

Well you have a decision tree here. I'll lead you down one path, but it is biased.

"Begin with the end in mind"- 7 habits of Highly effective people.

Decision #1:

What end of the Ins Spectrum do you want? if you answered P&C keep reading. If ''Other" wait for the others to respond

Decision #2: Captive or Independent.

Captive:
Pro: They will teach you a lot but inevitably you will go Indy at some point in your career. Another Pro, they will subsidize your life for a time.
Con: The District Manager will push too hard or force life on you or cut your commissions or change your contract, or, ext, ext. Your Captive will take rate increases and kill your production and you will have one price point while others dissect your book one policy at a time.

Independent: :
Pro: Control expenses. Get higher commission. Higher conversion. Higher retention. All of those factors equal more money.
Con: Starting out. Getting knowledge. Your personality type could sink yourself.

Decision #3:

Once you decide Indy is for you, in the next week or 22 yrs from now. The question will be how to do it. Your options include:

Buy an agency.
Join a group.
Become a producer for an agency.
Get direct appointments.
Get an agency that provides the back end service so you can hunt full time.

You decide which one is best for you.

Decision #4: What group should I join?

There are a lot. Consider the following. NOT ALL GROUPS ARE CREATED EQUAL! They range from good, better and best.

Any group claiming to be best of class should provide the following:
1. Transparency
2. Training and support
3. Carrier Alignment
4. and a great Contract
Give me a call, shoot me am IM. Good luck and have fun with your choices.

I have been in Insurance for 13+ years and the great thing in this industry is you can choose to never stop learning. Your learning curve is never ending. Meaning you will never get board.

I've got a question for some of you guys that have started your own Independent office... I called several carriers and before you can be appointed with them they require you to be in business for several years. What companies can you get appointed through from the start? Interested in personal and commercial lines P&C and life. Thanks.

I would say look for a cluster.

I would say look for a cluster.

Do not do a captive cluster!!... Agent secure dot com is a good one to look at. If they go under, you go under.

Captive cluster range from Crap to not screwing you that bad-ish. You can get started with just a few carriers and grow. I'll hook you up w/ a good home & car carrier in the morning.

Back