State Farm Agents Do Shady Business in My Area

bill777

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I just opened my agency few days ago and my first 3 visitors the first couple days were state farm clients.
Now here is how i noticed what's going on, all 3 of them lied!
The first one said that he was with state farm 6 months ago and wanted a quote, i gave him a quote and then he started saying out loud how much cheaper is state farm and that he has doubts if progressive pays claims like state farm etc.
Then i told him to give me his number and in couple days i'll call him back if i find a better deal with another carrier, i would use noodle or appund and it takes couple days. his answer was no he's not interested and that he will stay with his current carrier state farm and he just visited me to check if i would be cheaper.
First he told me he didn't have insurance for 6 months and while he was living he's still with state farm.
The second day i got 2 old female visitors grandma and her daughter, both state farm clients too, one wanted car insurance the other homeowners. the one with the car insurance told me her policy was expiring today and again said out loud she was paying state farm 90 dollars a month and can i beat that?
i did the quote i didn't beat it and after that they left together cause her they didn't know the sq feet on their house i couldn't calculate the value, they said they will come again the grandma said she was paying 110 dollars a month on homeowners for a 2003 built house.
After they left i called progressive to let them know how much they suck and how when i quote on their website i get half the price that beats even state farm but when i quote as the agent i can't compete. He told me to run a pos order to get a more accurate quote. I did it and guess what her policy with state farm was expiring december 2011 she had one claim too that concealed from me and the price went even higher!

Now what you gurus do if your competition sent their family to ruin your business you just opened up?
Imagine someone walks into your agency in front of many people saying hey state farm got you beat your carrier won't pay claims etc.
this guy gave me an idea that i can get some payback if this continuous.
How to Make Your Competitors Love You

oh and i know the state farm agent :skeptical: that does this i tried to get E&O from him a month ago but lloyds of london got him beat by far.

Last edited:
dont sell on price and how do you know it was his family members? If you KNOW it is his family members, then send yours into his office to waste his time.

Prog also charges you to run all the reports, adds up quick.

Dont you have other companies?

:1arghh:
dont sell on price and how do you know it was his family members? If you KNOW it is his family members, then send yours into his office to waste his time.

Prog also charges you to run all the reports, adds up quick.

Dont you have other companies?

They're probably his family friends, if this continues i'll keep you updated.When i get more proof i'll visit his office and embarrass him in front of his clients.
Do you know how much prog charges you for a run?
i'm planning to get more markets through smartchoice monday.
i don't sell on price but when you get a client asking for a better rate it's hard to sell him different for me but i did some research online for statefarm and there's only bad posts about them, maybe i can take advantage of that.

I just opened my agency few days ago and my first 3 visitors the first couple days were state farm clients.
Now here is how i noticed what's going on, all 3 of them lied!
The first one said that he was with state farm 6 months ago and wanted a quote, i gave him a quote and then he started saying out loud how much cheaper is state farm and that he has doubts if progressive pays claims like state farm etc.
Then i told him to give me his number and in couple days i'll call him back if i find a better deal with another carrier, i would use noodle or appund and it takes couple days. his answer was no he's not interested and that he will stay with his current carrier state farm and he just visited me to check if i would be cheaper.
First he told me he didn't have insurance for 6 months and while he was living he's still with state farm.
The second day i got 2 old female visitors grandma and her daughter, both state farm clients too, one wanted car insurance the other homeowners. the one with the car insurance told me her policy was expiring today and again said out loud she was paying state farm 90 dollars a month and can i beat that?
i did the quote i didn't beat it and after that they left together cause her they didn't know the sq feet on their house i couldn't calculate the value, they said they will come again the grandma said she was paying 110 dollars a month on homeowners for a 2003 built house.
After they left i called progressive to let them know how much they suck and how when i quote on their website i get have the price that beats even state farm but when i quote as the agent i can't compete. He told me to run a pos order to get a more accurate quote. I did it and guess what her policy with state farm was expiring december 2011 she had one claim too that concealed from me and the price went even higher!

Now what you gurus do if your competition sent their family to ruin your business you just opened up?
Imagine someone walks into your agency in front of many people saying hey state farm got you beat your carrier won't pay claims etc.
this guy gave me an idea that i can get some payback if this continuous.
How to Make Your Competitors Love You

oh and i know the state farm agent :skeptical: that does this i tried to get E&O from him a month ago but lloyds of london got him beat by far.

Boy I bet State Farm loved that ad.

Don't waste time and energy on deals you won't win. I run into this stuff all the time and usually doubt its a plant of any sort, people just don't do a good job of knowing things.

For instance: 'My policy expired today' translates to my payment is due today. Many people don't know that there is an actual policy period, they just know when their payment is due.

Also: 'My payment is $90' translates to 'somewhere around $90 is what I want to pay'. It's bad negotiation to say what you are really paying, or so they think.

Your best bet is to have them bring in their current dec page, you need to make sure they are properly covered. I've had people 'black out' their current premium, but not very often.

Use it as a learning experience. If the State Farm guy did send his family, it is because he views an independent agent as a threat. Take it as a compliment.

Dan

Don't waste time and energy on deals you won't win. I run into this stuff all the time and usually doubt its a plant of any sort, people just don't do a good job of knowing things.

For instance: 'My policy expired today' translates to my payment is due today. Many people don't know that there is an actual policy period, they just know when their payment is due.

Also: 'My payment is $90' translates to 'somewhere around $90 is what I want to pay'. It's bad negotiation to say what you are really paying, or so they think.

Your best bet is to have them bring in their current dec page, you need to make sure they are properly covered. I've had people 'black out' their current premium, but not very often.

Use it as a learning experience. If the State Farm guy did send his family, it is because he views an independent agent as a threat. Take it as a compliment.

Dan

^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said!

You might want to take a look at what you're doing in your presentation that gives someone an opportunity to stand up in your office and make a scene.

Maybe as others said ask for actual documents from what they have now. I always use the apples to apples explaination to make sure we are comparing the same things for "their" benefit of course.

Anyway the longer you spend in this business, the more you will learn that momma said there'd be days like this.

you know on the other hand, you could make friends with that agent and refer business back and forth, I have a number of agents that send me business.....

yes as red blood said. make it a point of stopping by his office, introduce yourself. those woman just showed you, you need to polish, up your pitch.

Dan

thanks you motivated the hell out of me

Latest posts

Back