To Stay or Go

bighow1100

Dallas
I have a huge dilemma, I'm currently at a small GA for a national company with a very small footprint. I've been offered a contract with New York Life.

Do I stay or do I go? I feel a bit disloyal if I leave but the opportunity at NYL is huge.

I need some opinions on this. I'm a career changer and I need income as soon as possible.

I want to hear the bitter truth.

Thanks

I have a huge dilemma, I'm currently at a small GA for a national company with a very small footprint. I've been offered a contract with New York Life.

Do I stay or do I go? I feel a bit disloyal if I leave but the opportunity at NYL is huge.

I need some opinions on this. I'm a career changer and I need income as soon as possible.

I want to hear the bitter truth.

Thanks

Loyalty is a good thing.......but in the end, you have to do what's best for you and your family.

Loyalty is a good thing.......but in the end, you have to do what's best for you and your family.

Absolutely. Realize you're in an industry where loyalty to you depends on your production. If you don't produce, nobody NYL included will show you anything but the door.

You are you own business, do what's best for your business.

I'm a bit concerned about the NYL thing (10 years there myself) as being a "big opportunity". NYL is a quality company but any opportunity is going to be created by you, no matter where you are. If the recruiter is telling you this is a big opportunity, realize it's an opportunity to help him meet his quota, first, second and third...

Good luck.

The only time that an "opportunity is huge"... is in these two conditions:

1) World-class training... which I believe NYL does offer. I've never met a current or former NYL agent who regretted or didn't appreciate the training that NYL offered.

2) They have a world-class method to feed you leads on a regular basis, ready for you to close. (Uh... that ain't gonna happen, at least not without significant expense and cost to you.)

Now, if you can find world-class training from an independent, 3rd party source... then you can go ANYWHERE and write your own ticket.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...nsurance/guidance-new-life-agents-t29999.html

----------

BTW, why did you explore the career opportunity at NYL in the first place? Were you looking for something else? If so, what are you dissatisfied with at your current situation?

The only time that an "opportunity is huge"... is in these two conditions: 1) World-class training... which I believe NYL does offer. I've never met a current or former NYL agent who regretted or didn't appreciate the training that NYL offered. 2) They have a world-class method to feed you leads on a regular basis, ready for you to close. (Uh... that ain't gonna happen, at least not without significant expense and cost to you.) Now, if you can find world-class training from an independent, 3rd party source... then you can go ANYWHERE and write your own ticket. http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/getting-started-selling-insurance/guidance-new-life-agents-t29999.html ---------- BTW, why did you explore the career opportunity at NYL in the first place? Were you looking for something else? If so, what are you dissatisfied with at your current situation?

Did you just wedge the guy lol?

I was contacted by NYL prior to joining my current agency. The interview process took weeks. What I really need is training being a career changer with very little natural market in Texas.

There is no comparison in compensation as long as meet NYL production requirements.

I'm still feeling condlicted.

Only advice I can give is to say that looking back almost 6yrs, I wish I had gone with a company like NYL when I first started....rather than start as an independent.
I would have gotten solid training and knowledge of this business, rather than trying to piece it together on my own. I got what turned out to be lots of not so great advice, and ran down lots of rabbit trails....all the while struggling the whole time as I learned. Still learning every day (hope most of us are).

I can't say for sure what is best for you, but I believe I would have been further ahead faster if I had. Not saying your current company/position can't provide similar, but most folks feel that NYL does a great job in the training and educating aspect.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back