Staying Focused in the Midst of a Personal Crisis

cowgoesMoO

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Going through some serious personal stuff. I've taken the day off, but I, like most of us, am responsible for my own paycheck and the livelihood of my family. I just can't bring myself to make cold calls, set appointments, do anything really.

Not sure what I'm looking for here, but I think something that one of my old bosses once said holds very true.

"when you go into work, leave your heart at the door. So, buck up" (a bit crass and insensitive, but might be perfect for my situation)

Anyone have some perspective or words of encouragement or something of the like.

Going through some serious personal stuff. I've taken the day off, but I, like most of us, am responsible for my own paycheck and the livelihood of my family. I just can't bring myself to make cold calls, set appointments, do anything really.

Not sure what I'm looking for here, but I think something that one of my old bosses once said holds very true.

"when you go into work, leave your heart at the door. So, buck up" (a bit crass and insensitive, but might be perfect for my situation)

Anyone have some perspective or words of encouragement or something of the like.

Take ten minuets to really deal with what is happening emotionally and mentally. Find a place to get lunch where you can put your feet up on the booth and just close your eyes while having someone else serve you.

Those things helped me in a time of crises about a year ago while still needing to work.

Normally, when I want to reference an MDRT recording, I would use the MDRT store (due to copywrite restrictions, etc.). However, this one doesn't appear to be "searchable" anymore.

This link is a 2005 presentation of an MDRT producer who experienced a tragedy - his daughter was raped in college. While he took some time away from his business, he eventually started his own non-profit organization to help families of rape victims to be present at their trials.

Maybe this recording might help you. You should be able to download it from this link.

Staying Focused During Times of Adversity with Thomas W. Branchini, CLU, ChFC

----------

This is the website of the foundation that he started:

http://ithappenedtoalexa.org/

Last edited:
Be your own boss. An awesome boss who understands your needs and the needs of the business. That you can only contribute if your mind is in it. Make sure the time away from work is focused on dealing / healing. When work starts to become just another big stinky pile of stress, that doesn't help. You can put that at bay by making a plan as to when you're going to work next. Be realistic on both sides....personal and professional. Write out your plan. When will you start, what will you do that day, what will be the routine, etc. Include some personal time into the plan. Basically...make a schedule for yourself. This will let your mind drop the work issues for a bit so you can focus on personal. On the personal side, I find meditation helpful. You can find meditation videos on YouTube. You can clear your mind for 10min. Then you can let your mind work on the most pressing issues more efficiently and productively.

Work can be an escape for you if you set small achievable goals. Create little achievements that you can celebrate. This will wire your brain to recognize work is rewarding.
- call 3 existing clients just to see how things are going.
- look for a client who just had, or has an upcoming birthday and call em.
- make 5 cold calls, celebrate. Make 10 calls, reward yourself. Be a great boss.
- organize

Last edited:

I completely understand. My son was in Iraq, Ramadi and Falujah, and had me jacked up for a year. Work through it.

Get out of your office.

My best advice, work out.

Hike, ski, run...do something physical.

I recommend martial arts. There is something about being being punched in the face and hitting back (all likely restrained of course) that is strangely cathartic.

Get out of your office.

My best advice, work out.

Hike, ski, run...do something physical.

I recommend martial arts. There is something about being being punched in the face and hitting back (all likely restrained of course) that is strangely cathartic.

I agree that exercise is great. Go chopped firewood, shovel snow, build a fence, etc. However, this thread brings up another important point. If we are sole entrepenurs we must either accumulate a large enough renewal stream or have a reserve fund large enough to see us throw lean times and times we cannot work. Disability insurance coverage can also be very important.

Pray, Meditate. Just slowing down to process things can be good. Change is part of life and whatever your issue, it's just a change to your norm. Teach yourself how to manage the new norm. Push through, now is the wrong time to let your problems overtake you, your family needs you, you need you. Not a pile of pity, but the on your feet movin, grovin, deal making, contract writing, check cashing, happy healthy fun exciting you! Don't let the dark forces of the world win, don't let them have you or yours.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is the Present, a gift from GOD, use it wisely...

Back