Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Reply to Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.     
Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

State: John_B is an Insurance Agent from Louisiana
Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.
Hey everyone, new to this forum. Live in Louisiana. Currently working as a manager at a company selling supplemental benefits (have been for the last two years). Wanting to get involved in selling health insurance as well to my clients. I just started an LLC and opened a business checking account. I want to be able to have the agents I'm managing at my current supplemental company be put underneath me to sell the health insurance as well. I'm not sure what that would be called exactly and how to go about filling out the paperwork because of the LLC. I would appreciate any advice on what name to fill out on the paperwork and how to go about putting agents underneath me, or any advice whatsoever.

I've tried contacting several different companies and asking them but they have been no help and either not returned my calls or didn't know. They just want me to submit my contract they sent me.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything that matches my situation.

Thanks!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Guru

State: Crabcake Johnny is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Crabcake Johnny
Crabcake Johnny is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. Re: Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.
It's because the general agent contract level has largely been wiped out due to health care reform.

A year ago you'd be able to pick up GA contracts at 25% with really no proof of production if you were a good talker.

That's gone.

Now you need to prove past production and very few health carriers are offering overrides. Two carrier I'll cite:

Assurant used to give out 25% GA contracts and you'd hire sub-agents at 20%. Now Assurant pays GAs 14% but products can get 14% street = zero override.

Golden Rule used to offer Key Broker contracts if you could prove that you wrote 100 health cases in the past 12 months. Their new system is you must have written 1,000 Golden Rule cases in the past 12 months to quality.

Other carriers such as Cigna, Humana, almost every Blue Cross, etc...either do not give general agent contracts or will not offer new ones.

Last edited by Crabcake Johnny; 05-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Guru
pbbaseball on Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. - Insurance Forum

State: pbbaseball is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. Re: Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.
talking them into an assignment of commissions is the only way i know of to go. in NC, goldenrule will do it, but humana, cigna, and aetna require commissions be assigned to a company, and won't let you assign to another agent. goldenrule will let you assign to another agent... of course with the commission cuts a few months ago, it's tough to make a lot and have your people still be happy if you're taking a small cut
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Guru

State: arnguy is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
arnguy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
John_B, I hate to inform you but it is bad timing to get into the health insurance market now with the reform ongoing.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   What is the fifth letter of the word Insurance? I agree to forum rules 

Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

State: John_B is an Insurance Agent from Louisiana
Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. Re: Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. John_B is the thread starter for: Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm thinking of going through Health Choice One. It seems easier then going through all this crap with multiple companies on my own.

Arnguy, You're right it's a bad time but I'm just planning on offering it to current clients as a way to make extra money. It won't be my sole source of income, just an addition to the supplemental benefits I'm also selling. I live in Louisiana and Louisiana did seek MLR waiver, which I know is just temporary for a year. But hopefully things will change with a new president next year.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Guru

State: magagent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
magagent is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
If this guy is treating selling major med like a "bonus" instead of their primary income, I say go for it.

Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm thinking of going through Health Choice One. It seems easier then going through all this crap with multiple companies on my own.

Arnguy, You're right it's a bad time but I'm just planning on offering it to current clients as a way to make extra money. It won't be my sole source of income, just an addition to the supplemental benefits I'm also selling. I live in Louisiana and Louisiana did seek MLR waiver, which I know is just temporary for a year. But hopefully things will change with a new president next year.

Reply to Supplemental Agent: Want to Start Selling Health Insurance. 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > General Insurance Agent Discussions

Tags
health insurance