Switching Resident License from Texas to Florida

SirLurkAlot

Expert
UPDATED 9/22: Switching Resident License from Texas to Florida

I currently hold a Group 1 L&H resident license in Texas and a non-resident in Florida & Arkansas. I want to make a more permanent move to Florida thus would need to make Florida my resident state.

The problem I am encountering is that Florida says I must terminate my resident license in Texas before I can get a Florida resident license. Texas won't let me switch to a non-resident license without having a resident license in another state.

My renewals: Med Supp, MA & PDP require that I maintain my license or I could lose my renewals. Any advice on how to make this switch without jeopardizing my renewals?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I experienced a similar situation from PA to NJ several years ago. It was a somewhat seamless procedure. Since the companies weren't notified by the two departments of insurance, I didn't have to do anything with my companies until I was ready.

My experience has been that companies do not ask for updated licensing info until the expiration they have on file comes due.

I went through the same thing when I moved here to TN.I was very nervous and the Dept of Ins in both states didn't really care to ease any concerns

However, when I started I did both at the same time and it went smooth and seemless

----------

It was like a big leap of faith

Your non-resident licenses won't terminate if you terminate your resident.
So, terminate/get a letter of clearance from your home state.
Then apply in Florida. Florida will see your active non-resident license and terminate it when issuing your resident FL license.

Well, this is what I did PA to NV.

I currently hold a Group 1 L&H resident license in Texas and a non-resident in Florida & Arkansas. I want to make a more permanent move to Florida thus would need to make Florida my resident state.

The problem I am encountering is that Florida says I must terminate my resident license in Texas before I can get a Florida resident license. Texas won't let me switch to a non-resident license without having a resident license in another state.

My renewals: Med Supp, MA & PDP require that I maintain my license or I could lose my renewals. Any advice on how to make this switch without jeopardizing my renewals?

Thanks in advance!

How did this work out? I'm going thru the same thing. It makes my nervous to surrender my home license. I can see the insurance companies terminating me and keeping my renewals. I'm not willing to lose the renewals. I'd rather just keep a non resident license in my home state.

Call the Bureau of Licensing in Tallahassee: 850-413-3137. Most of the folks I've dealt with there are knowledgeable.

People do what you're looking to do...every day.

Call the Bureau of Licensing in Tallahassee: 850-413-3137. Most of the folks I've dealt with there are knowledgeable. People do what you're looking to do...every day.
I did that very thing when I moved into Texas from Virginia. I called both states' DOI. While the transition wasn't completely pain free, the advice I got from those calls made it go much more smoothly than it could have.

"Will jam for food"

Back