Tail Wag Does NOT Mean Doesn't Bite

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
Greg was right! I should have been selling FE by phone and this wouldn't have happened.

Showed up at a FE appt. The house is WAY up off the road. I pull up there and see the guy in his backyard in his storage barn. He has a BIG black Lab that looked to be about 150 lbs.

He doesn't see me but the dog is staring right at me wagging his tail. I'm a dog guy and never met too many unfriendly labs so I get out of my car but stand right next to it to see what the dog is going to do.

He runs full speed at me but I still think I'm OK because he was wagging his tail a minute ago. He stops next to me sniffing me over and not growling so I figure I'm good to go. I take one step and CHOMP!

The dog chomped my hand HARD and runs back toward his owner. NOW the owner sees me. I holler over to him "Is the dog OK?" Like I didn't already know the answer to that one.

He says "no you can't trust him. Let me get him put up."

Nice couple but I didn't sell them a policy yet. Likely will next week but I MAY have to pull out my DOG BITE CLOSE on this one.

Last edited:
Greg was right! I should have been selling FE by phone and this wouldn't have happened.

Showed up at a FE appt. The house is WAY up off the road. I pull up there and see the guy in his backyard in his storage barn. He has a BIG black Lab that looked to be about 150 lbs.

He doesn't see me but the dog is staring right at me wagging his tail. I'm a dog guy and never met too many unfriendly labs so I get out of my car bbut stand right next to it to see what the dog is going to do.

He runs full speed at me but I still think I'm OK because he was wagging his tail a minute ago. He stops next to me sniffing me over and not growling so I figure I'm good to go. I take one step and CHOMP!

The dog chomped my hand HARD and runs back toward his owner. NOW the owner sees me. I holler over to him "Is the dog OK?" Like I didn't already know the answer to that one.

Nice couple but I didn't sell them a policy yet. Likely will next week bbut I MAY have to pull out my DOG BITE CLOSE on this one.

One thing about Labs. They have a great sense of character.:biggrin:

Was it your app writing hand?

Years ago I was on an appointment and went to a house and the guy had a German shepherd. When I came to the door the man told me to wait outside until he got the animal to sit.

I did as told, then he invited me in the house and over to the table.

The dog stayed a few feet away and never moved.

The man said he had spent several hundred dollars training the dog to be a guard dog and to chase off strangers unless the man was present.

I had been at the table about 10 minutes when the dog got up and walked over to me. He nuzzled my arm a bit, so I reached down to pet him. Eventually the dog laid down by my side and stayed there during the entire meeting.

The man got so pissed all he could think about was getting his money back.

I did manage to close him. He said if the dog liked me that much I must be someone who is trustworthy.

They call me the dog whisperer . . .

Big dogs are not a problem for me. It is those yappy little dogs Or the fricken cats that want to rub against my leg or jump onto my lap or on my laptop.

Disclosure: Own a great Lab mix and two fricken cats (Wife and Daughter's)

Big dogs are not a problem for me. It is those yappy little dogs Or the fricken cats that want to rub against my leg or jump onto my lap or on my laptop.

Disclosure: Own a great Lab mix and two fricken cats (Wife and Daughter's)

Ha Ha! My husband's neice got a cat because her mother is allergic. It discourages uninvited visits (and advice, nagging etc.).

One thing about Labs. They have a great sense of character.:biggrin:

That one does.

What's a good close if they brush me off?

OK Mrs. Smith. I was thinking same thing as your dog was tearing the flesh from my hand which was probably all that kept Cugo from my throat....

He doesn't see me but the dog is staring right at me wagging his tail. I'm a dog guy and never met too many unfriendly labs so I get out of my car but stand right next to it to see what the dog is going to do.

Nice couple but I didn't sell them a policy yet. Likely will next week but I MAY have to pull out my DOG BITE CLOSE on this one.

Did you get checked for rabies?

Back