Tips for Better Networking

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Posted a new article from Bob Arzt, CLU, ChFC, LLIF, about how an agent can improve their effectiveness when networking.

Insurance Forums | 5 Tips for becoming a better networker

Liked his "break the ice" questions...

• What brought you to this event?
• How did you find out about this event?
• How often do you attend this event?
• Have you attended this event before?
• What line of work are you in? How long have you been doing that?
• How did you get into that line of work?
• What does a perfect client for you look like?

...and it got me to thinking about compiling some good, simple networking tips here. Some advice that has stuck with me:

• Never start with your "elevator speech" unless someone asks you for it - when unsolicited, it can be a quick way to make someone you just met tune you out.
• Use LinkedIn to follow up with people you meet at a networking event. I know when people I meet in person request to connect on LinkedIn a few days later, I'm much more likely to accept the connection and it's a great way to keep that relationship going as opposed to perhaps a voice mail or email that may be ignored and you never hear from the person again. Down the road, I'm also much more likely to respond to a message or request from a LinkedIn connection than someone I'm not connected with.
• If you regularly communicate with clients via email, ask someone you meet at a networking event who seems like a good potential client if you may add their email to your "preferred client list" - say you understand they may not be in the market for insurance right now and you won't spam them, but they may very well find value in the information you pass on to your "preferred clients." If they allow you to add them, you will be top-of-mind when they ARE in the market.

If you have some good networking tips to add please do so - perhaps along with what kind of networking events you find most productive.

You mean... you should join networking events for the purpose of... NETWORKING???

*GASP!*

Maybe... just maybe... that might apply with all our other association memberships and community involvement? Don't 'pounce' on people, but show genuine interest in others, and perhaps, they will ask YOU what you do?

Otherwise, if you're 'pouncing' on anything that moves... you are reeking of "commission breath" and "neediness".

I used to say I have 3 citizenships and I am looking for a someone who also has 3 citizenships. I hope this is the right crowd. It broke the ice pretty fast. Most of the intro questions in this article are good, but not memorable. No one will remember you if your opening question is like how often do you come to these events.. Make it unique.

If you are unique they will remember you. If you are also likeable, they will remember you and be open to do business with you. As DHK said, leave your commission breath at home. If you are young and new, just go to one of the older persons in the room and introduce yourself, and pick their brain on how they started their business, how did they get their first client, what was their referal strategy. Do this 3 or 4 times, you will eventually meet someone who will help you take your business to the next level.

Last edited:
I used to say I have 3 citizenships and I am looking for a someone who also has 3 citizenships. I hope this is the right crowd. It broke the ice pretty fast. Most of the intro questions in this article are good, but not memorable. No one will remember you if your opening question is like how often do you come to these events.. Make it unique.

If you are unique they will remember you. If you are also likeable, they will remember you and be open to do business with you. As DHK said, leave your commission breath at home. If you are young and new, just go to one of the older persons in the room and introduce yourself, and pick their brain on how they started their business, how did they get their first client, what was their referal strategy. Do this 3 or 4 times, you will eventually meet someone who will help you take your business to the next level.

Good advice, thanks!

Where did you find a pair of assless chaps in that color?

All jokes aside though that's one of the reasons I tend to wear Hawaiian shirts at work. It's unique and fun. Often someone will say "just look for the guy in the Hawaiian shirt" when I'm needed.

It may not be "professional" but it certainly sets you apart in a crowd. Everyone's product is going to be the same...why be just another guy in a blue suit?

Best networking groups:
1. NAW Network After Work (sometimes I go to multiple ones in my state to build up my Influencer list)
2. BNI (can be high pressure to refer)
3. MeetUp Groups
4. Local LinkedIn groups like Under 30
5. CE classes from other insurance companies broker office (for Influencer list)

I'm a fan of schmoozing with people, asking people if they met any insurance agents or financial planners, people love to help others out. I like to tell people I help them with their Clients' Medicare concerns and questions, enabling them to keep their clients....and keep them happy. It's an effortless elevator pitch.

I ask for their card and send them an article I have off my LinkedIn profile, with some cards. I put them on my mailing list, and I get some referrals here and there for it, although I should get back to this again (stopped last winter, Cleveland sucks going out in the cold).
The point is to offer to be a resource for them and their clients...

Back