Truth About Esurance

bwolters

This is a simple rendition of the facts and not slander, lets let everyone reading decide.

On March 16th I applied for auto insurance online and was quoted a very good quote. After going through the process of answering all their questions I was given a higher quote. Nothing unexpected because they had learned that I had 2 DUI's. There is no dispute of having them what is not my fault is the disclosure of these infractions, they only had one field to choose from a drop down menu what my infraction was. Understandable that the quote was higher, more risk. Then when it came time to check out and pay, they wanted a down payment that is 2 months worth of payments. Also understandable, new customer they want the money up front. There was a link to click on stating a way to lower your initial payment, once you click on the link it presents a number to call into.

I call the support number and then hash over every detail with the agent on the phone. They acknowledge the fact that I did in fact have 2 DUI's and I quote "lucky you live in Minnesota or else we wouldn't be able to insure you". He later went onto explain that there are only a few states where they can insure someone with multiple infractions. I gladly paid my first payment because my previous insurer will lapse on the 18th of March. I was sent my ID card and Policy via email and downloaded them as instructed to eventually print. I had been operating under the assumption I was insured through my road trip for the NCAA tournament. I get back and come to find out that they had canceled my insurance 6 days after it began. Notified by email, not so much as a courtesy call or letter.

It says in the email to call in for reasoning. I call in and inquire about the reason they have left me unprotected on the road after we had a conversation where no information was withheld. They say the reason was that I had 2 DUI's.

Does this sound unreasonable to anyone else, they were aware of my two infractions prior to accepting my money. Now when I call and am on the phone they start going over my options of partial refund, I realize that the whole system is a scam.

I will let everyone here read into what that means and how a potential scam would be conducted for "high risk" policy holders who are never actually insured though they have paid and are given "options" for refund.

Do with this post what you will but there was nothing in it that would suggest that it is against the rules and regulations of this board.

Last edited:
Never said that they weren't my fault.

They were and over 2 years ago. The point was that they knew ahead of offering me insurance, they still did then canceled it abruptly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
what wasn't my fault was disclosing that information in the online submission form. I guess that i a spot that needs some editing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For two seemingly smart people you sure don't read context.

Last edited:
I sell health&life only.I do not do P&C.I Believe that a lot of people go online to buy auto,because they do NOT want to talk with a agent.They also may think they are saving money this way. Find a local agent,and try again.

Tough luck there....here in Pa companies are required to give 30 day cancellation notice. So...you at least have 30 days to look for new insurance. You might want to check with your state's insurance department to see if there's a similar law in your state. The law is designed to eliminate exactly what you're claiming is happening to you. Try Progressive or google substandard auto insurance in your state. Oh yeah...stop that drinking and driving before you hurt someone.

2 "infractions" is competely different from 2 "DUI'S"

An Infraction is a speeding ticket or moving violation.....just like 2 at fault accidents is different than speeding tickets.

I am pretty sure you do NOT want to see the rate for 2 DUI's anyway.....speaking of that, did they even give you your license back? Hell, I am glad I dont live where you are driving!

Back