Two Ears, One Mouth

jody108

Guru
100+ Post Club
I thought I would share this. I know you experienced guys don't need this but I still wanted to post it ... I would be interested in feedback ... It's just what I'm doing when in front of a client.

"The best salesman, is someone that listens."

You have two ears for a reason.

Look, let me tell you a little about myself.

I'm not your typical salesman? In fact, I don't talk hardly at all in my life. I'm always stuck listening to people.

My wife hates it! I will sit and listen to someone for hours.

Now, I'm not saying to do that because it's a real bummer ... I just don't know how to shut people up ...

I need some training in this area.

However, when this is applied to sales, you will do very well.

I mean, I guess????

It's the only conclusion I can come to as to why I make so many sales.

When I go into a clients home, I probe and ask questions and I listen to them. I mean, I get personal. If they say they are having trouble with their teenage grandson, I will ask "Why?" Then I will listen and offer sympathy and back them up on their views ... I will show that I care.

And actually, I do ...

I don't know why, but when I'm with someone, I care about them. I feel their pain and happiness and ... well, I'm right there with them.

Sometimes it comes to a point where they ask ... "Why are you here???"

Even I forget ... but, then I go into the sales pitch.

Sometimes, I skip the whole script and just get to the insurance ...

"Well Mrs. Jones, I am here because you requested some information on life insurance. Is that something you are looking for? Are you concerned about your family paying for your funeral?

Or whatever ...

If they say yes, then I have an easy sale ...

If they say "No, I don't need no insurance ..." Then I will ask "Why?" If they say they can't afford it, I will say "I think you've been talking to the wrong insurance man cuz I've got some really cheap prices."

Or, if they say "I already have insurance!" I will ask for their policy and find something that is wrong with it. If there is nothing wrong with it and the price is better than mine, then I say, "Mrs. Jones, you have a great policy and I can't offer you anything better. You did a great job buying insurance."

She will thank me and if there is anyone else in the house that is breathing, I will then make the attempt to offer them insurance.

Since Mrs. Jones likes me and feels I'm trust worthy, she will usually say, "Well, little Johnny needs a policy ..."

In fact, one time, I went for an 88 yr old man that was too old for me to write, and because I gave him all the time I would give a potential client, I ended up writing his whole family ... they just happened to come over for his birthday 30 minutes after I arrived. I made $3500 ...

You see how it works?

You can't force sales and you can't yap all the time and get sales.

You have to Listen .... you have to care .... you have to have their best interest at heart .... Really! Not just faking it ... Okay!

It works, trust me."

What do you guys think ... am I wrong??? I'm not sure this would work with more advanced insurance sales but it works with FE ... at least for me.

Back