To Use a Business Nane on a Business Card

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What's involved bare minimum? Just register the name with the state? For example, if I wanted to use Retirement Protection Solutions on my business cards. Legally what's the bare minimum I need to do after checking to see if the name is available?

It depends on your state.

First, any business name that includes your first and last name does not require registration. David Kinder Insurance and Financial Solutions does not require any registration at all. I am simply doing business in my own name.

Second, you need to be sure to meet any state name requirements for each state you plan to do business in.

I'll share with you California's page regarding fictitious name statements for reference. While I doubt any other state would be more stringent (other than NY), it's a good starting point.

Business Entity Application Procedures - Name Approval Criteria

Check with your state's DOI too.

You may have to register your business name an agency if you market under that name.

That means double licensing costs. No biggie if you work only one state, but it can get pricey as you expand to multiple states.

One way around this to build a brand around your website URL. Just make sure it's clear, the site is owned by you, the producer.

It depends on your state.

First, any business name that includes your first and last name does not require registration. David Kinder Insurance and Financial Solutions does not require any registration at all. I am simply doing business in my own name.

Second, you need to be sure to meet any state name requirements for each state you plan to do business in.

I'll share with you California's page regarding fictitious name statements for reference. While I doubt any other state would be more stringent (other than NY), it's a good starting point.

Business Entity Application Procedures - Name Approval Criteria

Good point. And be careful to check requirements in each individual state, if that applies. For example, I have my agency licensed in ga as nonres, and they require prior approval before doing busines under any name including terms such as insurance or assurance. Something I didn't have to go through in my home state.

Back