VOIP Phone for 2 Locations

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
I am looking to have a phone in my home office and another phone in my son's home office (in another town) that will both ring when our business number is called.

I need to be able to pick up when my son is on the phone and a second party calls in (and vice versa).

I assume that VOIP is the way to go. Does anyone have experience with this?

I used to do this when I had a Lingo account. They support simultaneous ring, so I was able to set it up to ring my office phone and my cell phone at the same time.

I could pick up the calls on either phone, didn't matter that someone was using one of them, it would be call waiting on the one and ring the other, then go to voicemail if it wasn't answered.

The only downside to it was if my cell phone was turned off (or out of range, but that is rare nowadays), it would immediately go to the cell phone voicemail, rather than ringing the office phone, since the cell phone effectively answered the call.

Other voip providers support simultaneous ring, though I'm not sure which. Almost all support 'find-me' where it rings one number, then the next, until someone answers. This is usually used for ringing the office phone, then the cell phone, but it could easily be office, other office, home, cell, then voicemail.

Dan

I've got a phone line from ITP (VOIP Provider - VOIP Service | ITPVOIP.com) that supports follow-me, so my main number rings through to my cell phone as well. I'm not sure what happens if I'm on my main number, though. Also, the quality of the call depends entirely on the quality of your internet connection and what else is using it.

You could also go with a service like GotVMail (GotVMail - Virtual PBX, VMail, 800 Numbers, Virtual Office, Toll Free Numbers, Voice Mail), which lets you set up a prompter to do things like "For Sales press 1, for Alton press 2...". It's cheap, but you pay for incoming minutes.

I use Vonage and it allows for that. I have never had any problems with them

Alston, I think you could also do what you want with Freedom Voice. It can be set up to place calls on hold while it searches for the next available line, ie you or your son.

Back